Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use a POP email account on an iPhone

I have a POP email account. I use it on my iMac. My Mail settings are to delete emails as soon as I've downloaded them.

Can I set up my email account on my iPhone? Can the two devices synch my email? i.e. if I send an email from my iMac will this email show up in my iPhone sent mailbox / if I delete an email from my phone will it also be deleted from my iMac / will emails sent to me go to both devices?

Remember this isn't an IMAP account with emails residing on a server, but a POP account that neither stores sent or received emails.

Thanks for any help

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:23 PM

Sure, you can use a POP account. But, there is no way to keep mail in sync with a POP account. POP was never designed to keep mail in sync.

8 replies

Mar 6, 2013 12:29 PM in response to Sparky Marky

POP does not provide for synchronization between clients. Only IMAP or Exchange accounts do that. By default, POP will delete from the server as soon as it's downloaded, meaning that if your computer downloads it, it can not be downloaded to your phone and vice versa. It is possible to configure some POP mail clients not to delete messages from the server after downloading, but not all servers will honor this request.

POP is generally considered obsolete. Especially in the world of mobile devices and multiple computers.

If your email provider does not support IMAP, you may want to look for a new one.

You could conceivably use a free service that supports IMAP, like gmail, to gather in the mail from the mail service you're using now.

Mar 6, 2013 1:26 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

Only IMAP or Exchange accounts do that. By default, POP will delete from the server as soon as it's downloaded, meaning that if your computer downloads it, it can not be downloaded to your phone and vice versa. It is possible to configure some POP mail clients not to delete messages from the server after downloading, but not all servers will honor this request.

except some servers will not delete, even if requested.

I use POP with both Comcast and my local ISP and I can only delete emails from the server with my Mac Mail.

If I view/delete email on my iPhone/iPad, it never gets deleted.

Then I open Mail on the Mac, I have to wade through emails again.

So I quit looking on my iPhone (unless I am waitng for something specific).

can I use a POP email account on an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.