Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete a email without opening it

How do i delete a unwanted email without opening it. MAC 10.5

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 12:47 PM

Right click or Control-click the email and you get a drop down, choose delete.

14 replies

Mar 6, 2013 3:53 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

As far as I know, Ralph, that will still open it. The way to do this is to double click on the horizontal screen divider in Mail, which will expand it, then delete the message.

EDIT: Btw, one nice little trick you can use with this when the page is expanded, is to hit Cmd-Shift-S, which will save a copy of the contents of the message to the Desktop in TextEdit. That way, you can see what's in a message you suspect as being spam without having to open it.

Message was edited by: WZZZ

Mar 6, 2013 4:30 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

That would explain it. With my 10.6, it opens and I think that's also true of 10.5. Also one caveat if saving a message without opening it: I've never investigated this further, but sometimes when I do this either Mail or TextEdit, I forget which now, will attempt to connect to some usually suspicious URL, which I always deny from Little Snitch.

How do you delete a email without opening it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.