Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which format of partition should be choosen to install OS 10.4.11 on a new partition of an internal HD using 10.6.8 on an intel core 2 duo?

Which format of partition should be choosen to install OS 10.4.11 on a new partition of an internal HD using 10.6.8 on an intel core 2 duo?

I'm looking to install some softwares that won't work on my actual 10.6.8. In order to do that, I've read here in the forums, that it is possible to partition my internal drive and install an earlier OS (10.4.11 in this case) on the new partition created. That way, I could run two OS on my 2.4 Ghz Mac Intel-Core Duo 2.

My only questions are:

-Which format (Mac OS Extended Journaled?) of partition should I choose for the one I want to create?

-Will I loose data / applications / anything on the actual HD if I do the partition?

Thank y'all so much in advance for your help and experiences.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo 2

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 1:47 PM

14 replies

Mar 6, 2013 2:21 PM in response to antenneletigre

To resize the drive do the following:

1. Open Disk Utility and select the drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list.

2. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. You should see the graphical sizing window showing the existing partitions. A portion may appear as a blue rectangle representing the used space on a partition.

User uploaded file

3. In the lower right corner of the sizing rectangle for each partition is a resizing gadget. Select it with the mouse and move the bottom of the rectangle upwards until you have reduced the existing partition enough to create the desired new volume's size. The space below the resized partition will appear gray. Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed. (Note: You can only make a partition smaller in order to create new free space.)

4. Click on the [+] button below the sizing window to add a new partition in the gray space you freed up. Give the new volume a name, if you wish, then click on the Apply button. Wait until the process has completed.

You should now have a new volume on the drive.

It would be wise to have a backup of your current system as resizing is not necessarily free of risk for data loss. Your drive must have sufficient contiguous free space for this process to work.

Mar 8, 2013 2:46 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I'm not sure if this Macbook Pro already used Tiger in the past, since I bought it second hand.

Here's what I've found on wiki:

Tiger was initially available in a PowerPC edition, with an Intel edition released beginning at 10.4.4. There is no universal version of the client operating system, although Tiger Server was made available on a universal DVD from version 10.4.7. While Apple shipped the PowerPC edition bundled with PowerPC-based Macs and also sold it as a separate retail box, the only way to get the Intel version was bundled with an Intel-based Mac. However, it was possible to buy the "restore" DVDs containing the Intel version through unofficial channels such as eBay, and officially through Apple if you could provide proof of purchase of the appropriate Intel Mac. These grey coloured "restore" DVDs supplied with new Macs, are designed to only restore on the model of Mac that they are intended for. The retail PPC only DVD can be used on any PPC based Mac supported by Tiger.

Now my question is, if I install 10.4 on that new partition, would it be possible to do the software update to reach 10.4.11?

Mar 12, 2013 11:05 PM in response to antenneletigre

I once was able to install the Intel version of Tiger into VMWare Fusion 2.0 and it worked running in Lion. I abandoned the project, as the need for it soon evaporated.

I got the ideas from this blog:

http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2011/09/running-mac-os-x-10-4-10-5-10-6-and -10-7-in-vmware-fusion-4-0/

Even though the article claims Tiger can run in VMWare Fusion 4.0, I was never able to get it to work in v4.0.

I was in communications with the author and he admitted that he was using v2.0 when he installed Tiger and I replicated his success.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.