Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Sims 2

Does anyone know if The Sims 2 for Mac will run on the Macbook? Im not sure because the system requirements for the Sims have the iBook's ATI processor. any help is much apperciated.

Posted on May 18, 2006 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2006 6:24 PM

The Sims 2 will run on the Intel Macs under Rosetta, or with the Universal Binary patch installed.

(12348)
12 replies

May 26, 2006 6:21 PM in response to GrooveMonsters

I just bought the Sims 2 for my new Macbook. I'm tempted to try and return the game to the store. It runs so terribly slow and jerky I am considering returning this Macbook as well. I was going to get the iMac but really wanted something portable and just as I was about to order the iMac, the MacBook came out. It has the same integrated graphics card that my Gateway PC has and the PC runs Sims 2 fine. I wonder if a RAM increase will help but something tells me it won't help much. I'm very disappointed.

I used Aspyr's game advisor and I guess technically it didn't lie. Yes, the game did get loaded. Yes, I can open it. But, you can't seriously play it. As quick as things can happen in the game.... this just won't do.

May 30, 2006 5:36 AM in response to yolanda.o

Not really, just download n' install bootcamp, and get a FULL INSTALL disk of Windows XP. DO NOT under any circumstances use a disk that has been installed and used already, they send codes from your computer and check if its been installed before, you can get a HUGE fine for that.

Btw, you should have atleast 1 GB of memory for any 3D game, the intel GMA950 takes up about 80 MBs of normal RAM to acquire only 64 MBs of VRAM. With only 1 GB it will still run fairly slow. I recomend either Newegg or applesales.com, thats where I ordered a 1 Gig stick so I can get a total of 1.2 Gigs.

May 30, 2006 7:14 AM in response to VivaLaCaz

"1 Gig stick so I can get a total of 1.2 Gigs."

I've heard that the MacBooks work best when you pair the RAM. In other words two 512MB chips work better than 1 256MB chip and 1 1GB chip. This is because of the way the memory is shared between the CPU and the video procesor.

I got my MacBook with the 1GB of Ram installed so I can't confirm this, can anyone else?

Jun 13, 2007 10:16 AM in response to krissy105

I would advise you NOT to buy the mac version. Buy the PC version and use it under bootcamp. it runs so much faster.

And honestly I've been playing my sims game on my old dell with 256 RAM and a Pentium 4 1.8 GHz processor. Its exetremely choppy and not too playable. But My macbook plays it amazingly great under bootcamp and with 2 gb of ram.

You will need at least 1 gb of ram or more for this game. NO exceptions
especially since the macbook has a shared graphics chip.

The Sims 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.