12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2014 10:48 AM by MikeKBoulderCO
jackfrommontague Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

When sending attachments via Mail, why do some show up as an icon and others show up inline. When I'm compsing an e-mail I would like any attachments I add to be represented as an icon that my recipiant can click on an open. Some attachments seem to work that way, others do not. I can't find a setting or anyway to get all attachments to show up as icons.

Can anyone offer help or explain why it can't be done. Using the help feature in Mail has proven to be useless.

Thanks in advance.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • sberman Level 7 Level 7 (27,230 points)

I believe if you go to Edit > Attachments > Always Send Windows-Friendly Attachments in mail's menu and check that line, your (Windows) recipient will see an icon even if you do not.

• Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (41,180 points)

On their end, there isn't anything you can do except go to their computer and tell their email client to display attachments as attachments.

Copy and paste this command into Terminal and it will disable inline viewing on your Mac:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool true

• jackfrommontague Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)

Thank you very much this seems to have solved my problem. I also discovered if you rightclick on an inline attachment it reduces it to a icon.

• azwriter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It makes it an Icon on YOUR screen, but the recipient still gets it as an embedded image. I've tried it from multiple email accounts (some Exchange, some not) with Windows-friendly, etc. selected. Still embeds. Very, very annoying. None of my consulting clients can get my attachments as icons and often, I end up having to upload them to Dropbox as a workaround. What is up with that, Apple?

• azwriter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I tried your Apple "hack" into the Terminal for the Mail Attachments viewing issue - coming across as embedded images - copied and pasted - did not work. Is there some trick to it?

azwriter wrote:

It makes it an Icon on YOUR screen, but the recipient still gets it as an embedded image.

That's why I wrote this,

On their end, there isn't anything you can do except go to their computer and tell their email client to display attachments as attachments.

The reason their email client embeds the attachment is because they use a crappy email client, likely Outlook. It was designed to work solely with an Exchange server, then modified to handle what they call, "internet email."

You can zip the files and attach with whatever formatting you want, or you can try using plain text, with attachments added to the end of message.  That works with some versions of Outlook.

• MandySue1024 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Don't know if it's against the support community ethos to tell people to buy something, but to any out there who don't feel up to doing the Terminal hack and are willing to spend $14.99, I just downloaded Attachment Tamer (formerly known as the Iconizer). Works with Mountain Lion (and older). Two minutes to install, and you can choose what kinds of attachments to "iconize"--for example, I kept images off the list but now--voila--everything else I try to attach (pdf, Excel, Word docs) defaults to an icon. There's a free trial, too, in case you just want to check it out without purchasing.

• Lynn-A Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I have tried this disable inlineattachments line in the terminal, but for me it doesn't work i still see Inlineattachments in the emails i receive.

Is there anything else i can try because the inlineattachments are driving me crazy!

As far as I knew, I thought that still worked in Mountain Lion. It does not work in Mavericks. They may have made the same changes in the Mountain Lion version of Mail. I don't use it anymore, so I don't know.

There is always MandySue's suggested app. Many people are happy with it.

• Lynn-A Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Thanks i've recently downloaded Mavericks and am having problems ever since.

I'll try attachment tamer thanks for you help

• Eric Root Level 7 Level 7 (31,265 points)

Information only - not trying to start a row.

Worked for me in both Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

• MikeKBoulderCO Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Control Click brings up a menu on screen.  Click View as Icon.  Turns an inline attachment into a file icon.

This is file by file and doesn't help when transmitting a bunch of attachments.