Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does it take so long to update appleTV?

I made the u fortunate mistake of clicking on update AppleTV now and here I am two hours after the update started and it is still not done. On top I am only now getting close to the end of step one? Should Apple not provide an estimate of the time it will require to update so that I could have done this at night...rather than sit here and wait till the dammed software is updated? It spoiled my entire evening! Why does the update of Apple TV take so long????? Luckily my AppleTV is hardwired to my computer, imagine if this was not so....

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2013 12:04 AM

I've just had the same problem.... Update seemed to freeze up in step 1. After over an hour, i gave up and unplugged the power - after 5 seconds plugged it back in. Apple tv restarted normally, I ran the update again and it ran within 15 mins. So thats the fix. By the way, have seen comments elsewhere that some have had updates that only work over wireless, not Ethernet cable...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2013 12:04 AM in response to guido Deboeck

I've just had the same problem.... Update seemed to freeze up in step 1. After over an hour, i gave up and unplugged the power - after 5 seconds plugged it back in. Apple tv restarted normally, I ran the update again and it ran within 15 mins. So thats the fix. By the way, have seen comments elsewhere that some have had updates that only work over wireless, not Ethernet cable...

Mar 6, 2013 6:57 PM in response to guido Deboeck

You just happened to run into an bug produced by your Apple TV and your Internet connection. Even though they don't want you to switch off they device disconnect your Apple TV from your power chord. When it restarts you can use your Apple TV like before. Often a day later the updates is done in less than 10 minutes. I happened to run into this problem a few times since I have my Apple TV 3

Why does it take so long to update appleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.