Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crucial M4 128GB VS Samsung 840 120GB - Mid-2012 MacBook Pro

I would like to put an SSD in my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro. As the tradition HDD is a real bottle neck the system. Space is not really an issue, but price is at the moment. It's between these two, Crucial M4 128GB VS Samsung 840 120GB, just to be used for everyday use, thoughts?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 8GB RAM

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 12:45 AM

6 replies

Mar 7, 2013 1:17 AM in response to SimonLDN

I'm a huge Crucial fan - I have a 512GB Crucial m4 SSD series installed right now and am eagerly awaiting the shipment of the Crucial M500 960GB SSD. One thing that I love about Crucial is that you can accomplish firmware updates directly on your Mac - with Samsung, I believe, you have to use a Windows machine.

Crucial SSDs are perfect for Macs - many of us around here have them.

The only problem that I see that you may run into is getting the data from your hard drive (you don't say how much space you're using on it) to a 128GB SSD. If you're under 128GB on your HD then you can just clone your data and OS, etc., onto the new SSD. Or you can make a 'fresh' start and format the drive and install the OS and then begin the laborious task of adding your apps back.

See my one and only user tip - Upgrading your MacBook Pro with a Solid State Drive - for some tips on transferring that data. I've always used Carbon Copy Cloner - but then I've always been moving to a SSD that was comparable in space to my 'old' HD.

Call back with any questions...

Clinton

Crucial M4 128GB VS Samsung 840 120GB - Mid-2012 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.