Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need help converting .mov to .mp4

Hello,

I apologize if this is a newbie/basic question. I did search previous posts and found some similar, but not exactly addressing my issue.

I have some brief Quicktime movies containing medical content that I want to convert to .mp4 so I can use them cross-platform in slide presentations.

I read that Handbrake will do this, so I downloaded the latest version and tried, but Handbrake would not recognize my older .mov files as a valid source.

When I re-made some of the movies from their original Dicom loops, the new .mov files were read and were converted without problem.

Quicktime reads and plays all my .mov files. I do not have QT Pro; must I use that to convert my older .mov files?

Why are some Quicktime movies recognized by Handbrake but not others? (BTW same is true with VLC).

Any insights and help would be appreciated. I am using Lion on a Macbook Pro.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 7:23 AM

I read that Handbrake will do this, so I downloaded the latest version and tried, but Handbrake would not recognize my older .mov files as a valid source.

When I re-made some of the movies from their original Dicom loops, the new .mov files were read and were converted without problem.

HandBrake does not access your system's codec component configuration so many codecs supported by QT on your system may not be compatible with HandBrake while formats not supported by QT may be supported. (I.e., HandBrake supports FFmpeg compatible compression formats.)

Quicktime reads and plays all my .mov files. I do not have QT Pro; must I use that to convert my older .mov files?

Only if you wish to use the QT 7 player app to do your converting. If GarageBand is installed on your system, it can also be used to access QT 7 conversion options. Alternatively, if the files are compatible with QT X playback, then you could use the QT X player to export files as H.264 content in M4V containers and then manually change the extension to MP4 if desired. Most users who don't require layering/compositing features simply download/install the free MPEG Streamclip app to perform QT 7 conversions without purchasing a QT Pro key since this app also uses your system's QT codec component configuration for conversions.

Why are some Quicktime movies recognized by Handbrake but not others?

See explanation above.

(BTW same is true with VLC).

Like HandBrake, VLC employs its own built-in codec components rather that your system's QT codec component configuration and is also why it can play some files natively that QT cannot handle (e.g., BD content in MKV file containers).

You actually have many options available here and will likely have more trouble deciding which is best for your particular needs than finding a particular solution that works. Personally, I keep QT X, QT 7 Pro, HandBreak, MPEG Streamclip, GarageBand, iTunes, and VLC installed to cover all bases and maximize my options when more than one converter can handle the job.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2013 7:23 AM in response to William Kussmaul

HandBrake does not access your system's codec component configuration so many codecs supported by QT on your system may not be compatible with HandBrake while formats not supported by QT may be supported. (I.e., HandBrake supports FFmpeg compatible compression formats.)

Only if you wish to use the QT 7 player app to do your converting. If GarageBand is installed on your system, it can also be used to access QT 7 conversion options. Alternatively, if the files are compatible with QT X playback, then you could use the QT X player to export files as H.264 content in M4V containers and then manually change the extension to MP4 if desired. Most users who don't require layering/compositing features simply download/install the free MPEG Streamclip app to perform QT 7 conversions without purchasing a QT Pro key since this app also uses your system's QT codec component configuration for conversions.

Why are some Quicktime movies recognized by Handbrake but not others?

See explanation above.

(BTW same is true with VLC).

Like HandBrake, VLC employs its own built-in codec components rather that your system's QT codec component configuration and is also why it can play some files natively that QT cannot handle (e.g., BD content in MKV file containers).

You actually have many options available here and will likely have more trouble deciding which is best for your particular needs than finding a particular solution that works. Personally, I keep QT X, QT 7 Pro, HandBreak, MPEG Streamclip, GarageBand, iTunes, and VLC installed to cover all bases and maximize my options when more than one converter can handle the job.

User uploaded file

Mar 7, 2013 8:24 PM in response to William Kussmaul

iSkySoft makes something called iMediaConverter for only $49. I use it all the time, and it does exactly what you want it to do. You pick your source (in your case the DVD disk), and then what you want the output to be. In your case you would just choose the preset for the iPod Classic. It works really well, and is really easy. Note though that it rips your movies into one continuous video file, with no chapter markers. Not sure if this is even possible in any video file playable on an iPod.

In any case, I feel like iMediaConverter is a steal for 49 bucks. It basically converts any video to any other video format you want. I've used it to convert .avi files that came from a Windows computer as well.

Jun 6, 2013 3:40 AM in response to William Kussmaul

Although the problem has resolved, I still would like to share my experiences in file converting between mov and mp4.

You can directly rename .mov file extension to .mp4 extension, and the file still can be played. Please keep in mind that not all video files can be done with this type of method to change to mp4 extension.

Of course, lots of web advice on this subject such as

http://www.ilikemall.com/how-to/convert-mp4-to-mov-mac.html

- James

need help converting .mov to .mp4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.