Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert RTFD to Doc (without losing images)

Hello!

Is it possible to convert RTFD-format files to Microsoft Word (doc) format - without losing images?

As a longtime Mac user, I have a multitude of RTF and RTFD files. I want to be able to access the contents of these files on platforms other than OS X (eg: Windows).

RTFD is not supported outside OS X. I'll qualify this by acknowleding that since RTFD files are OS X Packages, they show up in Windows as a folder containing image files and an RTF file; some people conclude that this is acceptable since, strictly speaking, its readable by windows. I disagree because its fiddly and hack-like rather than simple, recognizable and practical like a .doc file.

Given that I can open an RTFD file, copy/paste it's content (images and text) to a new blank Microsoft Word document and save it as .doc, it seems to me that I should be able to automate those steps using AppleScript or Automator.

I've Googled for a solution to this but no-one else is talking about it, with the exception of:

- the command-line 'textutil' converter, but that creates ascii files that are necessarily stripped of all images

- converting to HTML, but that creates more than a single file (an HTML file plus a folder containing the images)

Am I missing something really obvious?

Many thanks!

Peter

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMac, iPad mini

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 7:29 AM

34 replies

Mar 7, 2013 8:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX,

Thanks for trying that out!

You are correct: the .doc saved by Pages maintains the images, text and formatting of the original RTFD document when tested in both Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac and Microsoft Word 2013 for Windows.

I had already successfully done this with Microsoft Word 2011; its good to know that its also possible with Pages.

This means that there is hope that a stand-alone converter might be possible, created using AppleScript or Automator, to automate the process so its not necessary to convert all the RTFD files manually.

Thanks again!

Peter

Jan 26, 2017 2:11 PM in response to VikingOSX

This appears not to work any longer. When I try to open an rtfd file in Pages, the rtfd file is grayed out in the Open dialog. If I right-click (or ctrl-click) on the rtfd file and choose Open With > Other... Pages is grayed out in the file list of the Open dialog. If I choose All Applications from the Enable: popup and choose Pages, Pages shortly returns a dialog saying that it cannot open rtfd files.

Feb 11, 2017 7:34 AM in response to Ralph Jones

No release of Pages v5, and now, version 6 will recognize, or open RTF/RTFD documents because the applications simply exclude support for that document format.

Only Pages '08 v3.0.3, Pages '09 v4.3, and the Bean v3.2.9 Word processor — all on macOS Sierra 10.12.3, can open, edit, and save to RTF/RTFD/DOC formats. Both Pages applications can also export to RTFD, or Word DOC with images intact. TextEdit can open, edit, and save RTF/RTFD documents. LibreOffice v5.3.3 can open, edit, and save RTF documents, but not RTFD format.

The second paragraph was tested on macOS Sierra 10.12.3 with the last application versions shown.

Mar 7, 2013 7:45 AM in response to Peter Norman1

Pages '09 v4.3/ OS X 10.8.2.

I just opened a .rtfd file in Pages. When I exported it as Word and reopened in Pages (or LibreOffice 4 Writer), the document looked exactly as it did in the original .rtfd file format. Yes, I know this is not a thorough test, as I have no access to MS Word on either platform to determine if the .doc file retains the image content.

Mar 7, 2013 8:11 AM in response to etresoft

Etresoft,

Your response is not helpful but it demonstrates how you've racked up so many points.

Proof that your response is not helpful AND that you don't actually know what you're talking about:

- TextEdit's SaveAs offers only WebArchive and RTFD as file-formats

- Just so we're clear, those are NOT actual cross platform formats

Please stop wasting people's time and getting in the way of people who are trying to help.

Mar 7, 2013 8:45 AM in response to Peter Norman1

RTFD can be converted to DOC and DOCX via TextEdit, using the Save as.... menu item.

Here's a write-up from a while back, and I have confirmed that the Word 97 DOC, Word 2003 XML, and Word 2007 DOCX exports do all still exist in 10.7 and 10.8. I don't have Microsoft Word handy to test the imports of those formats.

In OS X 10.8, you do need to hold the Option ⌥ key to get the Save As... option to appear in the menus.

FWIW, I don't know why you responded to Etresoft in the way that you did, as the answer that was provided was and is entirely correct.

Mar 7, 2013 9:43 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi MrHoffman!

Many thanks for that information!

Years ago, TextEdit provided all those supported file-formats in the default Save As dialog box but now it only offers RTFD and WebArchive.

I didn't know about the hidden trick required to reveal the other file formats (doc, html, odt, xml, etc). Thats good news because it means that all the tools required to convert RTFD into a cross-platform format are already available in OS X, so an AppleScript or Automator-based stand-alone automated converter is possible. I've posted to MacScripter.net and will report back here if I turn up any useful scripts.

I responded to Etresoft in the way I did because he/she was patronizing and the answer provided was NOT correct - Save As is not available in TextEdit without the hidden trick of holding down the Option key.

You, on the other hand, kindly provided that crucial missing piece of info, tested TextEdit yourself in an effort to ensure that the info you provided was correct AND helpfully provided a link to further information.

Is it really necessary to distinguish your polite, correct and helpful approach from Etresoft's patronizing, incorrect and hit and run approach to tech support? Come on! You rock, he doesn't.

Thanks very much!

Peter

Jul 26, 2013 7:52 AM in response to duncang

Please describe exactly what you've tried here, what sort of file you've opened (rtfd?), what happened, what OS X version you're running, whether you've tried holding the option key as described earlier if you're running 10.8, and also what diagnostics you've received if any.

That written and having just tried this on 10.7.5, I don't see the alternate export options listed for RTFD-format files.

The command-line textutil --convert is still available in 10.7.5 as described in the linked article. Well, at least the man page still exists in 10.7.5, and still lists that option. I haven't tried converting RTFD, and still don't have Office handy to test the import.

Jul 26, 2013 2:15 PM in response to MrHoffman

Running 10.8.4.

Its a RTFD file with tables and images.

Pressing OPTION key gives the Save As... menu.

Only two output file options are available from the Save As dialog. Rich Text Document with Attachments and Web Archive.

However if I open a RTF file and do Save As... then all the output options are available.

So I guess its not happy trying to save an RTFD to Doc.

Jul 26, 2013 3:53 PM in response to duncang

Hi duncang!

The command-line 'textutil' app strips out images and so is useless for my purposes. As you pointed out, the solutions suggested by MrHoffman and Etresoft are incorrect.

A solution for my original post for this thread: use Apple's Pages for Mac (part of the iWork '09 Suite). I have succesfully converted thousands of RTFD files containing images into Microsoft Word (.doc) format.

If you have a lot of RTFD files to convert, then I recommend using an applescript to automate the process.

The applescript wizard Yvan Koenig (link) has very kindly provided a useful applescript for Pages '09 to automatically convert batches of RTF and RTFD files into Word or PDF. That guy knows what he's talking about and should be knighted for his efforts and kindness.

Look on his Box dot net public folder (link) for a file called 'batch_Pages2Doc.zip' (created Jan 31 2013). Here is the path to the file: / for_iWork'09 / for_Pages09 / batch_Pages2Doc.zip

- open the script in 'AppleScript Editor' on your Mac

- read the useful instructions he provides in comments within the script

- save it as an application so you can use it as a droplet onto which you can drag multiple RTFD files

- you can even edit the script using his instructions so it exports PDF as well as Doc

- it saves output to a 'wasPages_now_doc' folder on either your desktop or in your Documents folder

I'm running:

- Mac OS X 10.8.4

- iWork 2009 (retail boxed edition, not Mac App Store edition)

I hope this helps. It took me months to discover the solution to my original post.

-Peter

Jul 26, 2013 4:10 PM in response to Peter Norman1

Why is my original question marked as answered by MrHoffman?

- His answer does NOT answer the question; it is misleading other visitors to the thread

- The creator of the thread should have the right to mark the question answered

- There are reports (link) that this is a bug in Apple's forum software thats being abused by users in order to gain points for their profile with each question they have answered and for which they have taken credit

- I cannot turn it off or point to another answer

If MrHoffman is still reading this thread: please disable your originally tagged answer to my question.

-Peter

Convert RTFD to Doc (without losing images)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.