Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop iTunes automatic album rating?

When I have rated a few songs of a new album, iTunes automatically assigns an album rating to the rest of the songs. This is completely ruining my rating system and smart playlists. I have a smart playlist called "Not rated". I listed to this to rate all new songs. Sometimes I forget to rate a song while listening, other times I skip ahead after rating, so changing the playlist to "Not played" does not work.

The problem is that after I have rated a few songs of a new album, iTunes automatically assigns an album rating to the rest of the songs, and the songs I never rated are removed from the "Not rated" smart playlist. So without regularly scanning to figure out which automatic ratings iTunes has added, I end up forgetting about and never rating a whole bunch of songs. It is fortunately possible to manually look through new albums and one by one assign None as the album rating, and get the songs back into the "Not rated" smart playlist, but is annoying and should be possible to prevent in the first place, if iTunes had a simple option to uncheck, something like "Let iTunes try to figure out rating for unplayed songs".... Should be off by default. Who wants this behavior..?

I have found some old threads on this subject, but no solution, so I don't expect there is one... 😟

I have created a new smart playlist with Album Rating > 3 stars and no Rating. In this I see all the songs that iTunes has automatically rated for me. However, it is not possible to select all and clear album rating. Album rating can only be cleared in Album view and for one album at a time. Apple, please, without the ability to disable automatic album ratings, at least let us clear all album ratings at once!

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 9:23 AM

26 replies

Apr 6, 2013 12:45 PM in response to turingtest2

I have the exact same problem as n808, but I'm on an iMac. I don't suppose there's a workaround for iTunes on a Mac?

Edit: I found this link and it totally worked. So simple; just select one of the songs with a hollow star when looking at the song list. Then click on "albums" and you'll see the three stars under the album title. drag the stars to the left until they're zero and boom, all the hollow stars disappear!

Finally! This has ****** me off forever.

May 4, 2014 12:48 AM in response to n808n808

Signed up for these support communities solely to state that the automatic album ratings feature has to be the most worthless feature in all of iTunes. I've given up on finding a simple permanent fix as I have been looking off and on for years. My problem is that on my iPod the "hollow" stars from iTunes show up as solid stars, making it impossible to figure out which songs I've scored and which ones iTunes scored.

I don't understand why this feature hasn't been removed, or at least changed to an option that can be turned off. Can anyone answer that for me? Can anyone give an example of how this feature is useful?

Thank you.

May 4, 2014 3:01 AM in response to cdginca

Apple don't read these forums for user suggestions. That should go to iPod Feedback and/or iTunes Feedback.

Whenever the manually set rating is 0% iTunes will generate an album auto-rating on the average of rated tracks and a track auto-rating based on the album rating. My scripts ClearAlbumAutoRating and ClearTrackAutoRating can be used to set a rating of 1% which displays as no stars and suppresses any auto-ratings.

Nobody here can answer for Apple, but presumably nothing has changed because most people either use the feature as it is or ignore it altogether. About 15% of my library is manually rated and I personally don't have a problem with the way the feature works. My top-rated tracks make it to my iPhone, along with new & unplayed, some recently played, and a number of other smart playlists that gives me some turnover along with my favourite tracks/albums.

tt2

May 4, 2014 10:25 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the info. I've submitted my issue to Apple directly and haven't heard back, and I don't expect to. So I don't expect their response here either. I was just hoping somone here with more Apple knowledge/experience/interest could help me better understand the feature and why (1) I would possibly want or need software to rate things for me, (2) why it can't just simply be turned off, and/or (3) show me the obvious fix I was sure I was just missing. I ran the script and appreciate the work and effort, but it didn't change anything for me. Probably just another thing beyond my grasp of understanding. Thank you again though for the time and effort!

How to stop iTunes automatic album rating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.