Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What new setup would you get for editing video in iMovie?

Hey gang. I'm upgrading all the electronics in my home ⚠ and would love some buying and configuring advice. This question could go in the desktop discussion group as well, but the main thing that will tax the next system is family video editing and (temporary) storage. What desktop would you get? iMac or maybe Mac Mini? What camcorder? Canon Vixia ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838768-REG/Canon_M50_HF_M50.html )? I want movies to load quickly and easily, so was thinking of one with SD card media. Time Capsule? (One advisor said to go with another router). And if you were going to get a new TV, what would you get? Flat panel or projector? Yeah, I know: my credit card is gonna be lovin' me. Been saving up, though, and just built all new furniture for my home office, so I can't wait to load it up with nice new gear. Thanks for any advice!

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 10:03 AM

4 replies

Mar 20, 2013 12:19 AM in response to Robert Saxton

you're well connected to Santa Claus … ? 😉

• any camcorder/DSLR/photocam supporting AVCHD does it, from 50$ to 5.000$; the actual iM11 does not support 50p/60p, so set device to 30

• iMac is 'a beast' = powerful machine; MacMini is smaller, more 'customizable' when it comes to monitors (I like to use two for editing); my personal taste: the bigger the better

• add to 16GB Ram; add 2-3 ext. harddrives for 'serious' editing

• TimeCapsule is no router, but a backup machine; add another drive to backup backup

• add even more drives - video eats Terabytes ....

• AppleTV to easiely 'beam' from Mac to display

• TV - any that fits your wallet

... I'm pretty sure any of the blue-shirts at AppleStore is happy to counsel you 😁

keep in mind 'small parts': cables, tripod, SDcards, batteries, even more harddrives …

Mar 20, 2013 2:34 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

• TimeCapsule is no router, but a backup machine; add another drive to backup backup

Sorry to correct that Karsten - you are always right normally 😉

From the Apple Store ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD033LL/A/time-capsule-3tb?fnode=4d )

Easy wireless networking.

Connect your DSL or cable modem to Time Capsule, then quickly set it up with the easy-to-use AirPort Utility, which is available as download for both Mac OS X and Windows. In minutes, you and up to 50 others can use your Mac computers or PCs to surf the web, stream video, share photos and more — without wires.3

I think that earlier versions fit your description, but the latest does have wireless networking. It works like the Airport Extreme base station.

John

Message was edited by: John Cogdell

Mar 25, 2013 8:41 AM in response to Robert Saxton

We got an Epson Home Cinema 8700 projector and a 100" screen over 2 years ago, and it's great. It doesn't look like it's sold anymore, but the similar 8350 is on sale (both are native 1920x1080 with HDMI inputs). The lens-shift feature is great...you can put the projector anywhere within the field of the screen (top, bottom, corners, middle) and there is no distortion to the image. We mounted the projector high on a wall out of the way, and got a motorized screen so, when we're not watching, there's no screen in the living room.

It's bright enough at its eco-THX setting at night (which extends lamp life to 4000 hours), and OK even in a sunny room at its brightest setting (and this is a 1600-lumen projector). The bulbs cost $300, but we haven't blown one yet and got a free spare when we bought the projector from Projector People in Florida.

What new setup would you get for editing video in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.