Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not delete backspace w/o control key

I am having to use the control key in combination with the delete key in order for a normal "delete"to work. OS 10.6.8 (10K549), Darwin 10.8.0, Safari 5.1.7. Is there a fix for this? This occurs on all URLs and all websites with Safari when editing text. This is only on my Macbook Pro 17" early 2011.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 17" i7

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 12:45 PM

I have figured it out. Click to Flash extension that disables Flash has keyboard shortcuts activated by clicking on Settings in Click to Flash under Safari Preferences. By default, it enables the Delete key (backspace delete) as the Allow this Doman to use Flash. Thus when you use the Delete key to edit text in Safari it has no effect, no backspace delete as is normal. A poor choice of default keyboard shortcut by Click to Flash. Problem solved by placing a blank in that space or using some other less often used key (or key combination?)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2013 12:45 PM in response to hqnmlvpn

I have figured it out. Click to Flash extension that disables Flash has keyboard shortcuts activated by clicking on Settings in Click to Flash under Safari Preferences. By default, it enables the Delete key (backspace delete) as the Allow this Doman to use Flash. Thus when you use the Delete key to edit text in Safari it has no effect, no backspace delete as is normal. A poor choice of default keyboard shortcut by Click to Flash. Problem solved by placing a blank in that space or using some other less often used key (or key combination?)

Safari will not delete backspace w/o control key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.