Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to not mount a partition at boot?

Hello,

I have read a solution here for the question above but it seems to be not working for me😟 on my MBP 8.1 with OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

I have a partition formatted to Mac OSX (Journaled, Encrypted) so my system prompts me for its password to unlock the partition at boot.

I'd like my system to don't attempt unlocking the partition at boot, but do it onlywhen Iopen Disk Utility and click unlock.

So I created the /etc/fstab file as instructed in the topic I mentioned above. No effect at all. My system still keeps attempting to unlock the partition and prompts for the partition's password.

Perhaps I've missed something? Perhaps it does not work because the partition is encrypted?

Thx

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 240 GB SSD/1 TB HDD/8 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 2:22 PM

According to this thread :

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/

and remove the item DiskUnlock.bundle i.e. take it from that folder and store it somewhere safe, in case you need to add it back.

Restart et voila. No more prompting.

and/or

Run in Terminal:

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/LaunchDaemons.Disabled

sudo mv /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.corestorage.corestoraged.plist /System/Library/LaunchDaemons.Disabled/com.apple.corestorage.corestoraged.plist

/Johan

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2013 2:22 PM in response to enioth

According to this thread :

Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/

and remove the item DiskUnlock.bundle i.e. take it from that folder and store it somewhere safe, in case you need to add it back.

Restart et voila. No more prompting.

and/or

Run in Terminal:

sudo mkdir -p /System/Library/LaunchDaemons.Disabled

sudo mv /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.corestorage.corestoraged.plist /System/Library/LaunchDaemons.Disabled/com.apple.corestorage.corestoraged.plist

/Johan

Mar 7, 2013 2:45 PM in response to Johan Ekenberg

Thank you, let me report my findings:

solution #1:

No password prompt at boot, but need to restore DiskUnlock.bundle in order to be able to unlock the partition via Disk Utility. Otherwise nothing happens, I mean no prompt pops up, when clicking Unlock in Disk Utility.

solution #2:

No password prompt at boot but still I can unlock the partition via Disk Utility.

I stay with solution #2 and hope that moving that plist file does not have unwanted side effect.

Thank you /Johan!

How to not mount a partition at boot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.