Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does having multiple media or removable storage drives, slow down iTunes?

I recently built a gaming PC in the summer and I have since installed iTunes to listen to my music. I transferred all my music from my mac over easily and logged into my itunes successfully. Now, the problem arises when I start iTunes. It takes about 5 seconds for the program to open. Of course this isnt a long time, but my computer opens every other program much faster, including steam, chrome, WMP, etc. I am more curious as to why iTunes is the only program that does this, more than the loadup time.

I have tried running it as an administrator, updated all drivers and itunes, etc. I have a feeling it is because I have multiple drives from Daemon tools, as I did not include a CD/DVD drive in my PC because nearly all of my games come from Steam. However, I have three games that I made ISOs of (via USB CD/DVD drive) that i Have mounted on my PC at all times. Anyways, I notice that iTunes allows me to "eject" disk, because it clearly thinks theres a disk in my PC. Is it possible that iTunes is going through my three drives before opening itself to verify it isnt a CD or DVD that should get played?

My second philopshy is that I have Itunes on drive D, which is a 1tb HDD, while Windows 7 x64 is running on drive C, which is 128gb SSD. Is it because the PC has to switch drives to load iTunes?

Thanks! 🙂

PS. Before anyone says get a faster computer etc..... my rig is running with i5 3570k @ 3.7 ghz, 16gb RAM and SSDs ( I am able to run ARMA II/ Max Payne 3/ Far Cry 3 on max settings with no problems)

Gaming PC-OTHER, Windows 7, i5 @ 3.7ghz, 16gb RAM

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 2:41 PM

1 reply

Does having multiple media or removable storage drives, slow down iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.