Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purpose of new Java 2013-002 update?

Hi,

I'm really confused now, first Apple says we dont provide Java anymore and refered to Oracle. So now i'm sitting with Java 7 update 17 here and i get

OSX update for Java version 6!

I dont want to mess up the system with an old Java now so i'm wondering

1) can i just ignore this update and if so how can i make it dissapread from my update list? Its annoying to have always one update there

2) why does Apple send out an update when they have decided not to support Java in OSX? I mean if they now want to support why not send the latest update instead of an old one? this just dont make any sense to me but please explain if i'm totally wrong here.

Regards /Reza

MBP 15" i7, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 2:20 PM

3 replies

Mar 7, 2013 2:23 PM in response to shadow

1. I don't think that there will be a problem installing that update. That means that you have Java 6 installed apart from Java 7 (both can be installed without any problem). My advice is to install it.

2. Apple supports Java for Mac OS X, but it's not installed on OS X Lion and Mountain Lion by default because of security problems. These updates are to solve security problems, that are a lot with the Java plugin

Mar 7, 2013 2:25 PM in response to shadow

You don't "need" Java, but some users require it for their uses such as accessing web sites that include Java applets.

The new release closes one more security hole in Java thqt can be exploited by makers of malware.

If you don't use Java and have it turned off in Safari preferences, then the update isn't required.

Although Apple will no longer provide their own Java, you may still obtain OS X compatible versions of Java from Oracle.

Mar 7, 2013 2:42 PM in response to Kappy

hmm actually now the update makes sense, i found a link to the update

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5675

----------

This release updates the Apple-provided system Java SE 6 to version 1.6.0_43 and is for OS X versions 10.7 or later.

This update uninstalls the Apple-provided Java applet plug-in from all web browsers. To use applets on a web page, click on the region labeled "Missing plug-in" to go download the latest version of the Java applet plug-in from Oracle.

This update also removes the Java Preferences application, which is no longer required to configure applet settings.

----------

So basically Apple is removing the Java they forced me to install 🙂

This is good i guess since now i can have one Java VM, i hate to mix things.

Purpose of new Java 2013-002 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.