Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Command needed- SuperBlocks

What I wouldn't give for a full list of Terminal Commands for OS10.6.8

I desperately need to figure out how to use Terminal to list the alternate Super-blocks for an external RAID 0 so I can tell it to use one. The syntax / command to get the drive to list its alternate super-blocks is a mystery to me after 2 days of trying / googling / forum posting etc.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 3:47 PM

12 replies

Mar 7, 2013 11:44 PM in response to darrylfromsaskatoon

darrylfromsaskatoon wrote:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages /index.html and click on the ALL button. Should be everything, since I don't think anything's changed in Lion or ML.

AFAIK, diskutil is the command for doing RAID stuff.

BTW, I'll take another 27" i7 iMac capable of running Snow Leopard, as payment. 😉

Mar 8, 2013 7:52 AM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages /index.html and click on the ALL button. Should be everything, since I don't think anything's changed in Lion or ML.

AFAIK, diskutil is the command for doing RAID stuff.

BTW, I'll take another 27" i7 iMac capable of running Snow Leopard, as payment. 😉

That is a lovely haystack - now to find the needle. 🙂

Mar 8, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

And don't forget apropos and whatis from the comand line to locate commands.

some searching tured up

newfs_hfs -N /dev/disk list out the parameters for the disk. this is for an hfs formatted volume.

newfs_hfs -N /dev/disk returned the following result:

/dev/disk10 is mounted on /Volumes/ Bunyonold

Bunyonold is the name of teh RAID I am trying to get the alternate superblocks for.

[ yes, there is a space before the name but that has not caused any other issues in years of using the RAID ]

Also, you know when you order a simple cup of coffee in a french restaurant in french (with a good accent) and the waiter thinks you speak french so they talk a mile a minute in french and you sit there with a blank stare and mumble, "Oui?"

Yeah, I don't really speak 'Command' or 'Terminal' - I am just a noobie. 😉

Thaks for help thus far....

Mar 8, 2013 8:08 AM in response to darrylfromsaskatoon

It might help if you told us the make of the RAID box and other other particulars like how it is formatted etc.

As I wrote the newfs_hfs command is for hfs formatted volumes. There are other newfs commands for different formats.

As an example if I run that comand on my internal drive I get

976773168 sectors (512 bytes per sector)

HFS Plus format parameters:

volume name: "untitled"

block-size: 4096

total blocks: 122096646

first free catalog node id: 16

catalog b-tree node size: 8192

initial catalog file size: 177209344

extents b-tree node size: 4096

initial extents file size: 9437184

attributes b-tree node size: 8192

initial attributes file size: 203423744

initial allocation file size: 15265792 (3727 blocks)

data fork clump size: 65536

resource fork clump size: 65536

Mar 8, 2013 8:09 AM in response to darrylfromsaskatoon

Frank Caggiano wrote:

And don't forget apropos and whatis from the comand line to locate commands.

OK, I played with both of these commands and see that they are potentially helpful.

Funny thing, "whatis super-block" and "superblock" return "nothing appropriate" which is kinda weird since when I try to fsck the drive/RAID, I get a message saying "bad super-block: wrong magic number'

Mar 8, 2013 8:21 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

It might help if you told us the make of the RAID box and other other particulars like how it is formatted etc.

http://www.plan9films.com/guest/edit2-profile.txt

This link sums up the set up:

The external box is anMacGurus 5 bay Burly BoxeSAta box with port multiplier card built in. 5 x 2TbSeagatedrives in Striped RAID. CalDigit eSata Card in a MacPro1,1

ALSO:

- I have had the drive bays in multiple identical boxes and same problem so I've ruled out the box.

- other similar boxes work on same card so that works

Mar 8, 2013 12:58 PM in response to baltwo

baltwo wrote:

That is a lovely haystack - now to find the needle. 🙂

But, it is what you asked for. As for the super-block thing, see http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/ 10.6/man5/inode.5.html

Thanks baltwo

I see at the link you provided what could prove to be VERY helpful info... if the fsck I started ever ends and I'm able to try any of it.

My understaing is that there is no real safe way to interrupt an fsck process... please correct me if I'm wrong

I am likely leaving soon for the day (and possibly the entire weekend) but will let you know if I can indeed take advantage of the help you have provided.

Thanks again.

Apr 10, 2013 3:48 PM in response to darrylfromsaskatoon

I desperately need to figure out how to use Terminal to list the alternate Super-blocks for an external RAID 0 so I can tell it to use one. The syntax / command to get the drive to list its alternate super-blocks is a mystery to me after 2 days of trying / googling / forum posting etc.

After MUCH futzing, I ended up sending the entire box (10TB over 5 drives in RAID 0) to a data recovery place. 9 TB of data and no real way to cherry pick what to recover so final costs - a little over $2,500. It now seems that the bay that the 'bad' drive was in is a little flakey. when trying to copy from data recovery drives so.... did that cause the problem, was it the power supply failure or.... hmmmm

Terminal Command needed- SuperBlocks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.