Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optical Audio stopped working after 5.2 update? It worked fine b4 the update. Any help would be appreciated.

When I updated my apple TV to version 5.2 my optical audio out stopped working, I have reset, restored, turned dolby off turned dolby on, tried everything, has any one else experienced this and if so have you solved it? It worked fine b4 the update.

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 7:00 PM

10 replies

Mar 7, 2013 7:29 PM in response to joerudz

Set Dolby to Auto. Set Audio Output to Auto.

Unplug the optical cable at both ends. Shut down your receiver and AppleTV. Then put in the optical cable again. It's possible that the cable cannot make a handshake with the receiver.

If this doesn't work, just determine if your Apple TV is able to send sound by turning up the sound on your TV (when the optical cable is out). Let's see if HDMI is sending sound.

Mar 8, 2013 5:27 AM in response to OrangeMarlin

I've done that, I get sound and picture through the HDMI, I even tried plugging the optical into all 3 of my tuner's inputs to make sure it wasn't the tuner. When plugged into the ATV the opposite tip lights up red, but it doesn't appear that a signal is being delivered. I utilize the optical to another tuner to run speakers in another room. Everything worked fine until I upgraded to 5.2. It's not my cable, it's not my tuner, it's the ATV. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this and found a fix before I pay apple vie a phone troubleshoot to tell them the same thing, probably for them to tell me I need a new one and that my warranty has expired.

Is there a way to revert back to an older version of the OS?

Mar 10, 2013 11:57 AM in response to joerudz

I don't believe that it's the update, nor do I believe that you can revert to a previous version. The amount of testing that each update undergoes (for iOS, OSX, and Apple TV's version of iOS) prior to launch is extensive and exhaustive. Do not presume that there's a post hoc ergo propter hoc issue that because of the update, you suddenly have a failure as a result of that update.

I have two suggestions:

1. Get a new optical cable. They're inexpensive, and it is possible that it works for some appliances, just not your Apple TV. This happens a lot.
  2. Reset and restore your Apple TV from iTunes. Maybe that will clean out some funky code somewhere.

You may have to do both.

Mar 10, 2013 12:55 PM in response to OrangeMarlin

I already did both..

it was the update as the issue didnt occur before the update and it certainly happens every time after it, even after restoring.

i rarely run these updates on ATVs unless i have to (i just wanted the multi account access).

i found the only way to get around the issue is to turn off the Dolby in the settings.. which was always set to on or auto before.

perhaps the next update will fix it.

Mar 10, 2013 1:40 PM in response to OrangeMarlin

i rarely run the updates as they never have any additional features that I actually need on the appletv.

i ran the 5.2 update AS I SAID to get the access to multiple accounts and boy was it a waste of my time.

i spent a few hours troubleshooting it with various different movie files and cables and rebooting and reformating just to find that the update is flawed.

i make my living working on apple products for a living, so i may have some idea of what im talking about here.

thanks for adding nothing though!

May 11, 2013 8:09 PM in response to joerudz

Exactly the same issue with me. I have 2 ATVs, 2nd & 3rd Gen and both are having identical problems with the optical audio out.

1. I spoke to Apple Support yesterday & surprisingly they have not heard about this issue yet. The advise was to restore the ATVs which I did but with no success...the problem persists.

2. Prior speaking to Apple I have tried putting the Dolby Digital to 'Off', 'On' & 'Auto' - neither of them helps.

3. I have tried changing out the optical cable that is connected between my BOSE LS & ATV - didn't help either.

4. I called up my friend whom had bought an Apple TV very recently, however he had connected his one with the HDMI to the TV directly & as expected just like when I tested in a similar set up, did not have any problems with the audio.

After I requested him to try his set up with the optical audio out through his Home Theater system (he has a Yamaha), he reported the same with no audio or at times, intermittent & distorted audio for a second or two.

This indeed is a problem & I hope this issue is trumpeted out for Apple technical team to look into & revert with a solution on the next update!

Thanks to anybody who might have any other idea as to how to resolve this....

May 11, 2013 8:14 PM in response to SBanerjee

Rev 1 - with some spelling corrections

Exactly the same issue with me. I have 2 ATVs, 2nd & 3rd Gen and both are having identical problems with the optical audio out.

1. I spoke to Apple Support yesterday & surprisingly they have not heard about this issue yet. The advise was to restore the ATVs which I did but with no success...the problem persists.

2. Prior speaking to Apple I have tried putting the Dolby Digital to 'Off', 'On' & 'Auto' - neither of them helps.

3. I have tried changing out the optical cable that is connected between my BOSE LS & ATV - didn't help either.

4. I called up my friend whom had bought an Apple TV very recently, however he had connected his one with the HDMI to the TV directly & as expected just like when I tested in a similar set up, did not have any problems with the audio.

After I requested him to try his set up with the optical audio out through his Home Theater system (he has a Yamaha), he reported the same with no audio or at times, intermittent & distorted audio for a second or two.

This indeed is a problem & I hope this issue is trumpeted out for Apple technical team to look into & revert with a solution on the next update!

Thanks to anybody who might have any other idea as to how to resolve this....

Optical Audio stopped working after 5.2 update? It worked fine b4 the update. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.