Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insufficient space for importing TM backup with migration assistant

First of all this is not for my main Mountain Lion installation on my Mac Pro, it is on a VM Ware Fusion virtual Mountain Lion installation that is running on my Mac Pro also running Mountain Lion. So this is really more a question dealing with VM Ware Fusion (or Parallels since I have the same issue with that as well) vs. a problem with Mountain Lion. Confused yet? I sure am....

I am trying to import a time machine backup of my previous Snow Leopard drive into my virtual machine. I did not want to import this into my new drive because I am starting fresh and trying to clean up and Snow Leopard had 10 years worth of crus I am trying to get rid of, but I would still like to have my old SL drive running within VM Ware to help with the transition. I have a Mac Pro with a dual monitor set up so I want it to run in my second monitor and very slowly over the next few weeks get all the files I want and need instead of just importing a bunch of useless crap.

Anyway, here is the problem I am having and cannot seem to get past this hurdle. When I open migration assistant inside VM Ware ML and choose my time machine backup of snow leopard everything works fine until it finishes calculating the size. I deselected all the files and folder I possibly can which leaves 209GB. Even with every single folder deselcted it still give an insufficient storage error I have already resized the VMware drive to 400GB which is more than enough. In my real machine under Finder>Get Info it shows it as 400GB, but within the virtual machine it is only showing the Mac HD to be 40GB which won't allow migration assistant to import the backup due to insuffient storage.

I have a Mac Pro with tons of disk space so I have plenty of free space to allocate but I have tried everything I can think of but came up blank. Sorry if my explanation was overly verbose or confusing but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Haven't really fiddled with the settings in VM Ware in a while so I must be missing something.

So, how do you import files showing as larger than 40GB from a time machine backup with migration assistant without getting an error that there is not enough remaining space? And again, I have already resized the disk to 400GB that shows as 400GB on my real machine but only as 40GB inside the VM Ware Mac HD. I also have Parallels if that is easier to do what I am trying to accomplish.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:02 PM

9 replies

Mar 8, 2013 10:11 AM in response to baltwo

That TM FAQ really doesn't help. There are plenty of ways to resize the VM Ware Fusion partition in Windows when you want to import your old PC and it is larger than 40 GB, is there no way to accomplish this run OS X inside Fusion?

Surely I am not the first person that decided to update to a newer OS X like ML but wanted to start with a brand new clean install but also have access to my former OS X user account and thought migrating it to run within Fusion would be a good idea now that it can finally virtualize OS X. There has to be a way to import my old Snow Leopard user account into my VM so that I can see it side by side with a dual monitor set up.

Mar 8, 2013 12:52 PM in response to baltwo

This is not Windows question. I am running Mountain Lion inside of a virtual machine using Mountain Lion. This is on a Mac Pro also running Mountain Lion as the real OS. I just need to figure out a way to import my old Time Machine backup of Snow Leopard into the virtual Mountain Lion install without getting insuffivient storage message. Need to figure out how to resize that 40GB partition to a larger size of at least 200GB.

Mar 8, 2013 2:14 PM in response to baltwo

I just solved the problem! And this is actually a pretty big deal because experts at the VM Ware Fusion website and many other forums told me it was impossible.

So here is the guide to running Mountain Lion in VM Ware Fusion or Parallels with a partition larger than 40GB and allows you to import an old user account from Tiger, Snow Leopard, Lion, etc..

1) Make sure to shut down Mountain Lion in VM

2) Under VM settings expand hard drive to whatever size you like

3) You will need either a disk image or an actual DVD of mountain lion, mount that in your VM and choose it as start up. After rebooting open disk utility and partition Mac HD. Instead of only showing the 40GB limit it shold now show the size you created from step 2. Close disk utility and install Mountain Lion as normal. Reboot and unmount disk image.

4) You now have a virtual Mountain Lion with whatever hard disk size you chose.

5) Open migration assistant and do your time machine back up as normal from previous systems.

The reason you might want to do this are many. In my case I wanted to have my old Snow Leopard user account open and running on my second monitor since I just did a fresh install on my Mac Pro. It is easy to import audio, photos, videos but there was a lot of other things I want to take my time bringinging over. There are also many cases where I needed to open up an app and view settings. Now I have my old machine essentially running at the same time as my new install side by side which is fantastic.

Mar 8, 2013 3:48 PM in response to baltwo

I sure will. I saw while researching an answer that there were many people trying to do this and just gave up. I didn't see how to create a new tip though at your link. Will look again. I am just glad I proved the VM Ware Fusion experts wrong. It was so easy that I almost missed it and far easier to do than on a Windows VM but no surprise there.

Insufficient space for importing TM backup with migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.