Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina Burn-In

Hey guys

I got a Macbook Pro 15" with retina display and about 3 months after i bought it i notice that i get alot of ghosting images.

For example, i am a student and write rather long essays that take me weeks to complete, for one particular essay i had microsoft office open and was working on it but when i finally got to the point when i was going to call it a day and stop i quit the program and i could see a essay and microsoft office ghost image on my screen this took about 5 days before it faded and it really annoyed me. I live in NZ and the closest apple service place is a 2 hour drive, i had this essay sitting on my screen for a few days and thought so long as i didnt leave things open on screen for a long time i wouldn't have any problems. However now i notice having a screen open for anywhere over 10 minutes leaves a ghosting/burn in image on my screen for about half a day to longer.

Now to my question, since i still have over 9 months of warranty left can i claim on this and will they give me a replacement machine or atleast fix the moniter?

All Help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:03 PM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2013 6:49 PM in response to SwankPeRFection

After calling AppleCare about this, they said to bring my MacBook Pro Retina to a genius at the AppleStore. He ran some tests and confirmed that this was indeed a display issue. He said Apple was aware of this problem but there was no fix available. I was told to take the laptop home and they'd contact me if and when a fix ever became available...

Apr 12, 2013 9:10 AM in response to Mick_M

That's incorrect. The screen needs to be replaced. Take it back and demand to speak with a manager. The person you talked to first is giving you the runaround or has been instructed to do so so Apple doesn't have to spend the money to replace anything in hopes that your warranty will run out before you complain again. TAKE IT BACK! Read in the other thread where a bunch of people have run into this issue with the Retina screens and they've all gotten them replaced under warranty.

Macbook Pro Retina Burn-In

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.