Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Adobe Acrobat to see/print pdf forms I've filled out in Preview

I've been working in Preview and filling out Adobe Acrobat created forms according to instructions from the help in Preview. However, whent these filled forms are submitted to someone and opened in Adobe Acrobat, they can neither see what I've filled out nor can it be printed (all that comes out is a blank form). How can I properly fill out the forms so that Acrobat can see and print the filled out forms.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:57 PM

13 replies

Mar 7, 2013 10:22 PM in response to Tropical_Alaskan

That's because Preview simply does not play well with AcroForms. You need to be using Adobe reader if you want the forms designer to access your data.

I hate Preview if only for this reason.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

It will make your forms designer happy. He/she will actually be able to extract and use the data instead of just seeing an image.

Clinton

Mar 9, 2013 12:22 AM in response to Tropical_Alaskan

Just as I suspected, Preview is mucking up the DD Form 1351-2 form. I filled it out, saved it in Preview and opened it in Acrobat Pro and the fields were blank. If I open it in Reader, I can fill out the form, save it, and open it in Acrobat Pro just fine, all data intact.

I don't know why Preview does such a bad job with forms - I just know that as an AcroForms designer, I always suggest using Reader to fill in forms.

BTW, I also tried it in Windows 7, using Reader and Acrobat Pro, and it worked as expected.

Clinton

Mar 11, 2013 2:17 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Clinton, I'll agree that the best is to use like products, but at one time, Preview filled out forms fine and they could be opened in Adobe with no problem. I haven't had to do that for a while (read a few years) so this seems to be an instance where Adobe or Apple did something that caused problems on the other end. That's where the aggravation sets in.

How do I get Adobe Acrobat to see/print pdf forms I've filled out in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.