Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Engineering Sample

Hello everyone! I now have a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 with dual 2.26ghz Xeons. I want to upgrade these to 3ghz+ CPUs.

I read that the Xeon X5677 is the fastest compatible processor for my model, at 3.4ghz.

Today I found a seller on eBay who sells many Engineering Sample xeons, and has the X5677 for $300 shipped versus $600+ for retail processors from other sellers. My question is simple. Can I use the ES models for my Mac Pro and save the $600 for the pair, or would there be huge incompatibility problems? I've read that I might be fine, and I also shouldn't do it, yet I've seen no posts about what actually goes wrong. Thoughts? Thanks!

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 11:20 PM

4 replies

Mar 8, 2013 10:17 AM in response to bubbamj

There is a thread or two on forums.macrumors Mac Pro about cpu upgrades for 2009

incl best 4-core (5500 series)

I would zvoid those, later stepping and firmware on the chips, and you want to apply Mac Pro 5, 1 firmware as well

most that bought dual 2.26 did so due to high cost of 4GB DDR3 RAM at the time and were hurt by the slow cpu clock speed

Even a W3690 can be a very nice upgrade single cpu socket and no trouble

Mac Pro Engineering Sample

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.