Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine: How to create a backup at one moment and keep it forever?

Hello, friends,

When I'm about to install something on my Mac, I'd like to create a backup with Time Machine, so I could simply restore it in case something goes wrong.

I know Time Machine saves only hourly/daily/monthly backups, but can I do a "backup now", so this moment with show when I Enter Time Machine?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Time Machine

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:15 AM

Instead of using Time Machine, in your case I would recommend cloning your drive. I use and recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. It gives you a 'snapshot' of your drive at a given point in time rather than making incremental backups.

Clinton

5 replies

Mar 8, 2013 4:26 PM in response to AnaMusic

Another option you have, which I used to use many years ago, is the "Restore" option in Disk Utility. You can back up your startup drive to an external drive. What you can't do with Disk Utility/Restore is incremental backups or do any scheduling like you can with CCC. So it's not efficient in that way. But it's free and it's a pure Apple Utility. I'm not recommending this over CCC by any means.

Open Disk Utility/Help/Disk Utility Help and Search restore to find out more. Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Time Machine: How to create a backup at one moment and keep it forever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.