Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade my video card on PowerBook G4 17"?

Can I upgrade my video card on PowerBook G4 17"? 1.67 GB (PowerBook 5.9, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM). I have ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 M (ATY,RV360M11, 128 MB). I want to increase the level of graphics. Is it possible to replace the card?

Message was edited by: AlexakaRosco

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), I use PowerBook G4 on PPC G4

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 3:10 AM

Hello,

Sadly not, these GPU's are fixed to the board.

The only possible way to upgrade this would be to replace the logic board, however your 1.67GHz was the highest logic board created for the PowerBook 17" before the MacBook Pro's come out. The PowerBook 17" did come with a GPU option when the buyer ordered, but finding anyone that had a higher CPU would be difficult and the cost to put in a replacement logic board in wouldn't be worth the cost of the PowerBook. You would be better off buying a used MacBook Pro 17" from 2006-2008.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2013 3:10 AM in response to AlexakaRosco

Hello,

Sadly not, these GPU's are fixed to the board.

The only possible way to upgrade this would be to replace the logic board, however your 1.67GHz was the highest logic board created for the PowerBook 17" before the MacBook Pro's come out. The PowerBook 17" did come with a GPU option when the buyer ordered, but finding anyone that had a higher CPU would be difficult and the cost to put in a replacement logic board in wouldn't be worth the cost of the PowerBook. You would be better off buying a used MacBook Pro 17" from 2006-2008.

Mar 10, 2013 10:42 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Hi, you wrote:

"The PowerBook 17" did come with a GPU option when the buyer ordered, but finding anyone that had a higher CPU would be difficult"

This is news to me since I own a 17 inch 1.67 G4 DDR2 PowerBook.. No where on Everymac.com did it list a separate GPU option for the PowerBook G4. Please cite a source for this? So, did this mean that there was a 256MB ATI Radeon option?

Can I upgrade my video card on PowerBook G4 17"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.