Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Capturing with Sony HVR-Z1U

I cannot seem to get Final Cut to recognize my new Sony HVR-Z1U. It is connected through Firewire 800 to a small, 3-port Firewire hub, which is also running to my iMac and my external hard drive. Whenever I open up Final Cut or try to use Easy Setup, it informs me that it cannot locate my external A/V device. I previously had a DVCam deck connected in this manner, and it functioned perfectly when importing SD mini-DV tapes.

I have scoured the internet and these forums, and have tried everything I've seen suggested. I have rebooted the computer and camera, with the camera on first. I have tried multiple options in Easy Setup, to no avail. The one I am on currently, and I see most commonly suggested is HDV - 1080i60 FireWire Basic.

The camera's In/Out Rec settings are as follows:

VCR HDV/DV = Auto

Component = 1080i/480i

i.Link Conv = Off

Down Convert = Letter Box

A/V->DV Out = On

When I have the camera on in VCR mode, it displays HDV1080i 60i in the top left corner. This does not change when I play the tape that I recorded and would like to import. The blue light next to HDV is glowing near where the firewire cable is connected to the camera.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks very much.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Final Cut Pro 6.0.6

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:52 AM

2 replies

Mar 8, 2013 10:36 AM in response to Kate Carter

With the HVR-Z1U, you should be using the Easy Setup HDV-1080i60.

Try removing the firewire hub and plugging the camera directly into the iMac (you may have to temporarily reset your capture scratch disk if you are using the external drive as your capture scratch location) and see if FCP sees the camera.

If that does not work, download Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion (free) :

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

Preference Manager will let you archive your current preferences before you trash them, so you can restore them later, if you choose.

Use it to trash your preferences, then try to connect again.

If that does not help, post back.

MtD

Capturing with Sony HVR-Z1U

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.