Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect to wifi networks

After upgrading iPhone 5 from iOS 6.1.1 to 6.1.2 I am no longer able to connect to some wifi networks. My home network via an AirPort Extreme is fine which is where I upgraded to iOS 6.1.2. But I can no longer connect to my work office wifi and tech support are stumped as I used to connect using iOS 6.1.1. The network is password secured and I am expecting to be prompted to accept a certificate but am not. There are no active Profiles on the phone. My iPad (iOS 5) connects fine to the same network using the same password.

In addition I cannot connect to a hotel network which prompts with a login page on my iPad (iOS 5) but I get no such login page with my phone, it just fails. All attempts show message unable to connect.

I have tried various fixes including Reset network settings, Reset all settings, disabled cellular data, a hard restart, flicking airplane mode on/off. I am trying to avoid a factory restore.

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 11:14 AM

6 replies

Mar 14, 2013 1:44 PM in response to pdroth

This is what I have tried so far and both methods have failed:

1. Backed up phone, restore it as new, then restore from the backup, then tried to access the wifi. Failed.

2. Backed up phone, restore it as new, then tried to access the wifi. Failed.

With both methods my home wifi (on an airport extreme) are fine. It's just my work and hotel wifi that cannot connect. I also tried with Cellular data disabled for both methods above.

In addition other iOS 6.1.2 users are able to access the same workplace wifi just not my iPhone.

Mar 14, 2013 2:24 PM in response to MonsterMashRNA

Something weird happened with my reply as it was not visible until I added this second reply, so I am reposting it.
Apologies for the duplication.

This is what I have tried so far and both methods have failed:

1. Backed up phone, restore it as new, then restore from the backup, then tried to access the wifi. Failed.

2. Backed up phone, restore it as new, then tried to access the wifi. Failed.

With both methods my home wifi (on an airport extreme) are fine. It's just my work and hotel wifi that cannot connect. I also tried with Cellular data disabled for both methods above.

In addition other iOS 6.1.2 users are able to access the same workplace wifi just not my iPhone.

Mar 18, 2013 1:58 PM in response to MonsterMashRNA

My issue is now resolved. Took the phone to a very helpful Genius at the Genius Bar. I described my issues and my attempted fixes and he agreed that it is most likely hardware. They replaced my iPhone 5 no questions asked. At home I restored from backup then upgraded to 6.1.2. I have successfully been able to connect to WiFi at home and now also at work.

*HappyDance

Sep 26, 2014 10:56 AM in response to MonsterMashRNA

My wife's new iphone and my iphone 4s both lost wifi connections about the same time, two weeks ago [first week in Sept 2014]. No upgrades or other tinkering went on to cause this. I have now read several hundred complaints of loss of wifi, "unable to join network" etc. I followed each set of instructions and nothing. Airplane mood on and off, and resets on and off, all that. Nothing. We've been running up a bill with AT&T. I notice no Apple people respond to these hundreds of complaints and think that is a really bad business model; almost like changing the cord plugs on the new iPhone so folks can run out and buy more Apple products. HERE'S WHAT WORKS TO RESTORE wifi. I rebooted my router. Off for maybe a minute, then back on. Wait for all the lights to lite. Turn on the iPhone, touch settings, turn airplane on and off a few times [I don't think that helps at all, but did it.] Touched wifi. Turned it on and off a couple of times. And bleep, the check mark shows up and I'm good.

Unable to connect to wifi networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.