Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

For some reason OSX ONLY copies files- never moves them. Any suggestions?

TLDR:

For some reason, whenever I move a file anywhere except the trash, it creates a copy of the file rather than moving it. Example:

you have a file:

~/Desktop/someFile.txt

and a folder:

~/Desktop/aFolder/

with your mouse, drag someFile.txt to aFolder/.

release.

now you have:

~/Desktop/someFile.txt

~/Desktop/aFolder/

~/Desktop/aFolder/someFile.txt

^^

Here's what I've tried so far:

PRAM reset.

Power reset (command + option + shift + power at boot)

verify/repair disk permissions

verify/repair disk

REINSTALL Mountain Lion

OSX 10.8.2

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

aka 2009/2010 MBP

Any other ideas? Should i get rid of a library setting or something? it happens for all users on this box so whatever it is it'd have to be at / not ~/

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 10:50 AM

5 replies

Mar 8, 2013 11:02 AM in response to andeqoo

It sounds like a permissions issue. For instance, if you try to move a font out of the /System/Library/Fonts/ folder, the OS won't do it. It will always be a copy because the font belongs to the OS and you don't have direct permissions to move it.

So what may be happening, for whatever reason, is every user on that Mac doesn't have the correct permissions for their own desktop and files, so the OS is copying everything.

To test, drag and drop a file between one folder and another with the Command key held down to force a move. Does the OS pop up an admin password box to confirm the move? If it does, permissions are screwed up.

Dec 20, 2014 8:20 PM in response to andeqoo

This same thing was happening to me.

One thing I noticed while debugging is that for some reason, even though both files are on the same drive, they looked like they where on separate drives.

For example, my HD is called HD. But the moving from folders name was under MacintoshHD for some reason.

I followed the folders path from HD and then was able to move normally.

hope that helps someone.

For some reason OSX ONLY copies files- never moves them. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.