Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant login to my network accounts

I have setup my Mountain Lion server prefectly now and it will allow network accounts to sign in if their home folder is set to local but when i set it to a share allowed to be used as a home folder location it refuses to login and throws an error.

Do I need specific permissions on the shared folder or am I missing something i've tried Lion and Mountain Lion accounts but none of them work except of the user home folder location is set to local only.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), OSX Server 2.2

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 11:12 AM

7 replies

Mar 8, 2013 11:38 AM in response to mattd25

You can see below the server config appears to be correct and the user has their home folder set to the Home Folders location.

User uploaded file

And yet when you look at the error that comes up on the client machine

User uploaded file

But also you will see the home folder is created in the share location as seen on the server yet it just doesnt login

User uploaded file

Mar 8, 2013 11:56 AM in response to mattd25

To add in the log I am seeing this on the client machine :-

08/03/2013 19:52:08.039 NetAuthSysAgent[1810]: CFPreferences: user home directory for user kCFPreferencesCurrentUser at /Network/Servers/server.xyz.net/Home Folders/test is unavailable. User domains will be volatile.

08/03/2013 19:53:13.416 authorizationhost[1804]: ERROR | -[HomeDirMounter mountNetworkHomeWithURL:attributes:dirPath:username:] | PremountHomeDirectoryWithAuthentication( url=afp://server.xyz.net/Home%20Folders, homedir=/Network/Servers/server.xyz.net/Home Folders/test, name=test ) returned 64

Mar 9, 2013 2:41 AM in response to cpragman

Indeed however I belive I have resolved the issue - even though I had opened all the ports according to the list on Apple Support it stil wasnt working, then I opened my router on the DMZ to the server and it worked so something isnt right there perhaps the router was blocking something - but now I cant seem to get the client to login remotely to the network without accessing a VPN first :-/ **** it you would think by now there would be a way to initiate a vpn connection from the login window -.-

Mar 9, 2013 7:47 AM in response to mattd25

Network home folders work nice in a "static" situation, like an office where everyone is in the office. Once your users start to work outside the office though, you need to make adjustments. You can still have a network home folder, but the specific users need to enable "Portable Home" folders. This creates a copy of their network home folder on their personal laptop, and handles keepting the laptop and server versions of their home folders in sync.

While connected and in your office, have the user login as usual. Then on the laptop, in the users and groups preferences, select the option to "Enable portable home" for that user.

After that is setup, they can roam. When roaming, they will be logging into a local replica of their server account. Once logged in, they can open a VPN back to the office when they need to.

Mar 9, 2013 12:13 PM in response to mattd25

It's a "chicken or the egg" situation. Something has to be "first", then the other things can happen.

First, the user is authenticated with a locally cached copy of their password hash, and logs in to a locally cached copy of their files. THEN, as an optional step, they can connect to the server via VPN. Then OD can approve more priveledges for them (grant AFP shares, etc.)

If you did it the other way around, your server would have to expose it's OD to the wild internet at all times.

Where it becomes a hassle for me is password resets and password changes. If the user isn't connected to the server when they change their password, then the server password and local password get out of sync. They start getting password refused messages, and they don't know why.

I cant login to my network accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.