Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens after IMG_9999.jpg on iphones?

I'm using my iphone 4 to make a stop motion video with hundreds actually thousands of images using my stock camera app. I took over 1000 images today alone. currently my image naming is up to IMG_8725.jpg..... Am I about to have a y2k on my camera app? 😉 Or does it start over at IMG_0001.JPG? Anyone have any advice or insight?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:21 PM

2 replies

Jan 13, 2014 3:55 PM in response to warthaw

I really hope someone from Apple and the iPhone team would soon adress this issue.

I noticed that after I've come to take the picture named "IMG_9999.JPG" you can still take pictures but they will be named in the spots you deleted previous pictures. Let's say you deleted picture IMG_5000.JPG, but later you took a picture so the iPhone uses this name. Then when I upload the picture to my folder on my MacBook Pro (I have all pics in the same folder) it renames it IMG_5000 1.jpg. This is quite annoying. I hope we could get like a 5 number name or add a letter or something. Or put 2 more numbers, since I guess it'll take a while to shoot a million pictures...

what happens after IMG_9999.jpg on iphones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.