Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems exporting an edited image to iMovie

When I edit an image, and then export it to use in Imove, all of the stacked versions go into Imovie. How do I solve this problem. (I have 'unstacked' the versions in Aperture.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 3:13 PM

14 replies

Mar 9, 2013 1:37 AM in response to Motib

How exactly are you exporting to iMovie?

• Are you selecting the edited version in the Browser and using "File > Export > Version"?
  • Or are you dragging the thumbnail from the Browser window to the Desktop for export?
  • Or are you accessing the Aperture Library from the Media Browser in iMovie?

And what are your Aperture and iMovie versions?

Regards

Léonie

Mar 9, 2013 8:54 AM in response to Motib

I tried, Motib, but I found no way to reproduce the problem you are seeing. When I export an edited version, stacked or not, only one version will be exported.

Do you see the same, when you try exporting from a different Aperture library? You may want to craete a test library and import a few image files, just to check, if your Aperture library needs repairing.

Mar 9, 2013 11:46 AM in response to Motib

What you say is happening is hard to follow. If you export a version from Aperture a single file of the type spesified in the export ipreset s created from the version, JPG, TIFF, whatever.

When exporting a version stacks have no bearing on the outcome. A version can be part of a stack but when exported (unless the stack was selected) only that one version is made into an external file.

So what format and export preset are you using? When the image is exported and you look at the file with preview before you import that file into iMovie what do you see?

How are you actually doing the export? Léonie asked you but your answer was vague. You wrote back that you were exporting the version as described but Léonie described three different ways to export.

If you could respond to these questions we might be able to clear up the problem.

regards

Mar 9, 2013 11:54 AM in response to Motib

This sounds vaguely familiar as a bug that was in Aperture at one point last year. I could totally be imagining this but my brain says there was a some bug causing all the images in a stack to be used in some circumstances. But the fact that you are using Aperture 3.4.3 should make a past bug irrelevent. Maybe you should try reinstalling Aperture on the Mac having the issue.

Mar 9, 2013 12:18 PM in response to Motib

When it is dragged into iMovie, all of the images show.

And where in iMovie do you drag the image to? I cannot check with iMovie 8 unfortunately, I upgraded to iMovie 9. In iMovie 9 I can only drag images to a project, not to an event. And in the project the exported images will just appear as a single still frame. What do you see in iMovie 8?

Mar 9, 2013 12:20 PM in response to Motib

Motib wrote:

Frank -

My method for exporting is - to select the edited version (JPG) usiing "File > Export > Version". It is then exported to the desktop and shows as one (1) image. When it is dragged into iMovie, all of the images show.

I hope this clarifies my vagueness.

How does it 'shows as one (1) image'? What are you looking at the file with? How then are you importing this file into iMovie? And why are you exporting/importing rather then using the Media Browser in iMovie?

Problems exporting an edited image to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.