Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to print from my iPad to a Airprint-enabled printer in a wired LAN.

Is it possible to print from my iPad to a Airprint-enabled printer in a wired LAN? My iPad is via WiFi connected to that LAN. The WiFi connection of the printer isn't used.

iPad 2, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 5:55 AM

4 replies

Mar 9, 2013 6:44 AM in response to ThFloris

You've mentioned you have a Wired LAN, so everything is connected via wires to a router I'd presume, including the printer? You've mentioned that you do have Wifi - presumably via a wireless router, however does the printer itself have wifi built-in - so it to connects to the router via wifi - or does it need to be connected to the router via cable for a wireless connection to function?

If the printer itself has wifi built in then you should be able to turn this feature on if turned off and access your printer via iPad for AirPrint to work.

If it's any help I can tell you about my setup. I have an HP 5510 printer, stood alone upstairs, not connected to anything it has wifi built-in connects to my wireless router and allows me to Airprint on it from my iPad.

Regards,

Steve

Mar 11, 2013 6:16 AM in response to Steve Nicholls

My Canon MX715 printer is wired connected to the router. My iPad is via WiFi connected to the router.

The printer could be connected via WiFi but I prefer the wired connection. So the printer is part of the LAN to which I get access with my iPad via a WiFi connection. A network scanner shows them all connected into the LAN.

My Windows Laptop also connected via WiFi to the same LAN finds the printer and works well every time.

The iPad has troubles to find the printer.

After a couples of hours by trial and error I found an app of Canon Easy PhotoPrint. After I installed the app I found my printer and could print. It worked for the apps at my iPad that have the print feature. After a while I discovered that the different apps at my iPad don't find the printer immediately every time when needed. After multiple trials it works again.

So the big question that remains: Why doesn't it works always? Have I initialize something after start up or wake up the print access to the Lan?

Mar 14, 2013 8:45 PM in response to ThFloris

ThFloris-

If you connect your printer to the network via USB, you can only print from computers that use the printer's native printing language. AirPrint does NOT work over a USB connection.

There are AirPrint printers that have an Ethernet connection. AirPrint will work with those if they are connected via Ethernet to the WiFi router.

Fred

Is it possible to print from my iPad to a Airprint-enabled printer in a wired LAN.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.