Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2.4Ghz Quadcore, 8GB RAM, 650M Graphics.. Good enough for Gaming?

Hi Guys,

Im looking at buying the retina macbook pro with the above specs, i like to play call of duty 2/4 and counterstrike, would i be able to game comfortably with these specs, i.e high fps/smooth, i wont just be using macbook for gaming as im a graphics designer but i do love occasional multiplayer game.

many thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 4:30 AM

9 replies

Mar 9, 2013 4:36 AM in response to Pete77777

Mac's in general aren't that good at gaming. It has to do with case design, slim, and the cooling system used on all of them, Not that good when you Tax the system which games do.

Then you have the limited games written for the Mac OS X platform.

So it might be better for you to buy a system with the other platform. All your Graphic software is available for that other platform also along with many more games.

And you will be saving some cash and getting all the same or better specs except maybe the screen.

Mar 9, 2013 7:31 AM in response to Pete77777

Pete77777 wrote:

do processors make a difference to fps ingame?

Not as much as the performance of the graphics chip, because that is what does all the heavy lifting as far as rending on the screen. Intel HD 3000, 4000 etc., only graphics is really poor as it's only CPU based.

It's really not advised to use a expensive Mac laptop for 3D gaming, especially the Retina because it's sealed.

The reason is the hotter the Mac gets, the more air it has to draw in to cool the machine, which more vent clogging dust it inhales which overheats the machine and tends to shorten it's lifespan. Also using the inferior bubble membrane keyboard too much tends to wear it out.

If you want to 3D game, either buy a dedicated Windows 7 3D gaming tower so you can clean the dust out, upgrade the graphics card and be compatible with everyone else, use tougher keyboards (clicky clack types) and so forth, or if your budget can't do that and the Mac, then a PS3 or a XBox.

3D games are always improving, new ones come out and require better video cards, you can't upgrade a video card in a laptop. So you won't be playing for long.

OS X changes every year, so it breaks games. Windows 7 will remain so until 2020.

http://www.cbscores.com/index.php?sort=ogl&order=desc

TigerDirect will help you build a gaming PC, and with this video card you'll likely never have to upgrade it. 😁

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/deals.asp?campaignid=2524

2.4Ghz Quadcore, 8GB RAM, 650M Graphics.. Good enough for Gaming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.