Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nested Share Points Permissions

I'm moving my employees over to a Mac server. They are already running Macs and all have iOS devices so it only made sense. Everything works fine but the permissions. Here's what I'm trying to do. It was easy on WIndows servers but I'm struggling with the Share Points and permissions on the Mac.

I have a folder structure like so...

CLIENTS

• Client A
    • Project 1
    • Project 2
    • Project 3
  • Client B
    • Project 1

Now let's say I want to grant permissions to a project manager for Project 2 under Client A. In windows I simply set the NTFS permissions for Project 2 and then share that folder. They will ONLY see that folder in their view and then have access. With OSX, I granted them access to Project 2 but the problem is, they see it but when they try to access it it then errors out and says object no longer accessible. If i grant them read access to the root of CLIENTS AND Client A, it works fine. However, I don't want them to even see the higher folders. How can I get it to simply give them access to Project 2 and have them only see that?

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:53 AM

6 replies

Mar 9, 2013 11:00 AM in response to digitalsr2

If you change the permissions for Client A, then you need to extend the change to each of the projects in Client A. Select Client A's folder. Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window and go to the Sharing and Permissions panel. After setting the permissions you want for the folder, use the tool dropdown menu and select the option to "Apply to enclosed items...."

User uploaded file

Nested Share Points Permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.