Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 5th generation recognized in iTunes but won't charge

Hello Apple Support Community,

I'm writing this on behalf of my girlfriend, who is having problems with her iPod, I tried searching google and the forums here but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

Basically what happens is this:

iPod gets plugged in and shows the "do not disconnect" screen and starts charging (what comes next kind of happens simultaneously) not long after that, I'd say a minute at most, the normal menu screen comes up and the lightning symbol on the battery disappears, iTunes recognizes the device and allows you to browse the files and it gives the option to sync but we haven't done that yet (the laptop we're trying to charge it off is new and has an empty iTunes library) and we don't want to lose the data on the iPod. It works fine on other computers, i.e. she can charge it with no problem from her desktop PC and as far as i know any other PC/laptop available to us

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong and how to solve it?

Technical details:

iPod 5th generation, 60gb

Laptop brand: Samsung

USB status: Ports all work and from what I can tell they're all 500mA

Tried:

Switching USB ports, none seem to make it charge

Resetting iPod

We don't have extra cables so we can't try switching them and we haven't tried restoring the iPod yet since we don't want to lose data.

If you need more info, let me know 🙂

Thank you very much for your time!

iPod 5th generation, 60gb-OTHER, Other OS, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 11:15 AM

There are no replies.

iPod 5th generation recognized in iTunes but won't charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.