Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini headless - goes Slow!

Hi

I am wanting to run a Mac Mini (new 20013 base model) as a music stremer, and as headless. I want to control it on an iPad using RealVNC or si ilar.

However, I have read a problem exists where the MM goes into slow mode and becomes sluggish / useless as it thinks it hasn't

got a monitor connected. Is this correct, and if so, how can I avoid it?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 12:06 PM

Hi, I've seen a couple of reports about this, but I'd test yours & see if it's so on yours.

3 replies

Mar 9, 2013 2:25 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi

I thought there might be a recognized fix for this? A fix a read was to buy a HDMI dongle that fools the Mac Mini to thinking it still has a monitor attached thus not shutting down the system, or am I wrong?

Seems kinda silly if Apple are promoting the Mac Mini as a server or music streamer, and it shut down without a monitor. Doesn't it need to be able to run 100% headless and the user has Apple remote on another Mac or iPad?

Some facts here would be nice please.....

Mar 9, 2013 2:39 PM in response to astrostar59

Facts would be nice, I don't have much to go on, a couple of reports of that problem, but 100s of reports of using the Mini headless & no mention of any "Slow" problem!???

Hmmm, I wonder if it's only Server and/or a Mouse???

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4246224?start=0&tstart=0

I hope we can get somebody in here that isn't having the problem to see what might be different?

mac mini headless - goes Slow!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.