Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant add people the names disappear.

When i add someone onto ichat, their name comes up as offline. Then in about 5 minutes the name disappears and i keep readding and all of my friends said that it never came up that i wanted to add them. help!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:18 PM

1 reply

Mar 10, 2013 1:37 PM in response to neekashirin

Hi,

You seem to have added every tag you could find that might have something to do with iChat.

You are not talking about Audio or Video chat but have an Audio tag

You are at OS X 10.7.5 (iChat 6) but list iChatAV 2.1

Facebook, AIM/AIM, Yahoo and Google could all be IDs or Screen Names used in iChat.

You list having a MacBook Pro but tag an iMac as well.

Lets start with an AIM Account

This could certain Apple issued IDs ending in @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com that are also valid AIM names under the agreement Apple have with AIM.

It could also be an AIM registered name.

Only AIM and AIM valid names can be added to an AIM Buddy list

If you add a Screen Name that is Off Line or has Blocked you or of someone that is Invisible then they will appear in the Buddy list via this fading In and Out process.

They will then do the third of these three things.

1) Appear in the On Line sections

2) Appear in the Off line section/group if displayed

3) disappear completely.

If the name is valid and recognised by the AIM servers it will tend to be in the Off Line section.

If the name is invalid it will tend to disappear completely. (don't be fooled by having the Offline Line Group Not on show)

To explain further.

In iChat Menu > Preferences > Accounts > AIM Accounts > Security/Prvicay tab (This changes name name between the Snow Leopard version and the Mountain Lion version of Messages)

In here you can Allow All, All Specific People, or Block some or All

There are two lists that can be Involved (Those Specifically Allowed and those Specifically Blocked).

If you use the Block option then people cannot see you as being on Line (you cannot see them on line either)

The same is true when you try to add people that are not in the Specifically Allow list.

In an AIM List you can also click the Available or Away Messages and select Invisible as a Status.

You can then see other people as On line but they can't see you.

Obviously though Buddies can do the same and you will not be able to see them.

With an AIM Buddy there is no Asking to be allowed.

Via the various option described above you set up who can contact you.

Jabber (GoogleTalk and Facebook included)

Adding a Jabber Buddy to an Jabber list does require them to be On Line to Answer the Authorisation Request.

Buddies have to agree.

However iChat sends this "Request" once and Buddies are added to the Off line section listing "Awaiting Authorisation" as a Status Message.

You could use a Jabber app that will constantly repeat the request until the Buddy accepts or denies of delete their ID from your Jabber list and try adding them at a pre arranged time.

Yahoo IDs gets blocked at the server end by people accessing their List in a web browser.

Parental Controls can effect who is seen/allowed in an AIM and Jabber Buddy list.

As Jabber IDs are in the form of UserName@JabberServer.com they look like emails but only are in some cases (Facebook, GoogleTalk and Jabber Australia that I know for certain).

However this does mean they also fit the form that is used by AIM and Yahoo (Although AIM registered ones rarely need the @aim.com suffix)

The Options are

You are spelling the name or ID incorrectly

You are adding the wrong type of Name or IDs to the wrong Buddy List

You are being Blocked or Not Allowed in a particular Buddy's list.

You may have Parental Controls On which is effectively not allowing and blocking buddies at your end.

User uploaded file
8:37 PM Sunday; March 10, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Cant add people the names disappear.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.