Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore.

While updating to iOS 6.1.2 using iTunes 11.0.2..26 the update stopped. I was then unable to connect the iPad to iTunes. Checking Apple support for Unable to see device in Windows iTunes I followed all instructions in article HT1925. After reinstalling iTunes, still unable to connect iPad. Note, I am able to connect iPod nano to iTunes using the same cable and USB port.

How do I force reconnect so I can restore?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:45 PM

Try and force iPad into Recovery Mode

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

3.While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears, release the Home button. iTunes should alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then click Restore to restore the device.

Note: Data will be lost. You may have to repeat the above many times.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2013 10:45 PM in response to alr257

Try and force iPad into Recovery Mode

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the device, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

3.While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the device. The device should turn on.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears, release the Home button. iTunes should alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, and then click Restore to restore the device.

Note: Data will be lost. You may have to repeat the above many times.

Nov 19, 2014 5:30 AM in response to Diavonex

Yep. It worked for me too! Thanks!

I'm wondering, though. If you can reset an iPod in this way, what then, keeps evil persons 👿 from nicking one's iPad and restore it to factory setting? O, I see (iPad starting up); it will ask your Apple ID before you can go any further, so for now it's safe from evil Ming & his cohorts. I'll leave this message here for others to let them know that a restored iPad is still one's own.

Thanks mate!

Sep 4, 2015 10:01 PM in response to alr257

I NEED HELP BECAUSE I FOLLOW EACH STEP OF RESTORING MY IPAD BUT WHEN ITUNES OPENS LIKE IT TELLS ME TO RESTORE AND I CLICKL RESTORE AND THEN POPS OUT SOMETHING THAT TELLS ME IF I WANT TO RESTORE AND I CLICK THERE AND ALL IS NORMAL BUT AT THE END OF THE DOWNLOAD DOESNT APPEAR NOTHING IN MY IPAD DOESNT RESTORE

Unable to restore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.