Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport and bonjour/rendezvous

This is an odd problem. I cannot "see" my airport extreme base through bonjour/rendezvous, although my internet connection works, and if I use the "other" option in airport admin utility, I can get to the airport configuration. I can also print through the airport, but when I restart, I need to delete and re-add the printer.

The other application affected is ichat. I can chat through aol, but I cannot see the other mac in bonjour.

This problem does not affect the other mac; I can see the airport without a problem in airport admin utility.

I have tried fixing permissions. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Malcolm

1.67 GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 19, 2006 11:06 AM

5 replies

May 21, 2006 2:54 AM in response to mwestley

hi malcolm.

network problems are usually system-wide, but did you try to create a new user to see if the issue is the same?

are you using any vpn software (to access your computer at work, for instance)? if that's the case, it might be interfering with bonjour. check the faq's and see if there are specific steps you need to go through to get bonjour back.

someone i know was using vpn software and he had the exact same symptoms you're having. we archived/installed, ran all system updates and again he could see his speakers in itunes, his base station in airport admin utility, his printer, etc. we then reinstalled the vpn software. everything was fine...until he made his first connection to his work computer. at that point he finally decided to read the vpn software FAQs and found the correct settings.

if you're not using vpn software, some other non-apple software is probably interfering. virus protection? 3rd party firewall? your system could be corrupted as well. an archive/install should fix it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

i hope this helps.

May 27, 2006 12:11 PM in response to Rj in WI

Hi mwestley:

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

Are you using static or dynamic IP addresses on both
machines?

If you are using static IP addresses, make sure your
subnet mask is the same on both machines.

Also, verify you have the correct router address
configured in your network settings.

Just a thought...

Thanks for your response, but I am using dynamic IP addresses. My problem may have appeared after a system update (I didn't notice it right away), so I suspect I may have a corruption problem.

airport and bonjour/rendezvous

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.