Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my mail programme slowed down drastically?

Hi, over the last week my mail programme has become increasingly erratic. It has slowed down so much it is getting impossible to use. When I open it and click on a message that's fine, any subsequent actions after the initial opening take anything from 5 to 20 seconds to initiate. While waiting for the action to take place the programme is frozen. It won't even shut down. I've emptied my junk folder and trash and pared down all other folders to a bare minimum. This took forever. Deleting a message takes up to 10 seconds for it to happen Also on three occasions it has simply refused to send a message. No error message appears it just sits there for ever. And these were not all to the same address. All contributions gratefully received.

Wilf

PS sometimes it takes a while for the programme to open even.

W

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac 11,1 Intel Core i5. 2.66GHz

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:31 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2013 12:31 PM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

Open Console in Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

Why has my mail programme slowed down drastically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.