Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal is hard to read

I have iCal 4.0.4. Is there a newer version that will keep my data when it is installed and the 4.0.4 is deleted? I have seen a newer version that is much more legible and I want it.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:06 PM

Hello:

Run software update. That should select the proper updates for your computer. If you do that, all data is retained.

To be safe, archive your current calendar before you do anything.

Barry

6 replies

Mar 10, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Hey Barry - Thanks for attempt to help but I was confused at the first step. Now I realize that the program my wife has on her new laptop uses the iCal icon on her Dock, but when opened, it turns out to be Calendar 6.0, and that is the one I want. I'll trot off and try to find it.

Just one question: what are the key strokes required to 'archive' my cucrrent version of iCal?

Mar 10, 2013 9:40 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

Perfect. Thank you for the archive answer. I used it for the same purpose as you and at least feel better...for some reason. I would feel a lot safer if the archive file would automatically mirror my future additions to the iCal version I open from the Dock.

But now I'm wondering about archiving files vs. external drive backups on-the-fly.

Is archiving files an unnessary duplication if the external drive is humming away doing it's thing? As you can tell, I'm pretty ignorant about these things.

Mar 11, 2013 2:58 AM in response to weirdwilbur

Hi:

But now I'm wondering about archiving files vs. external drive backups on-the-fly.

Is archiving files an unnessary duplication if the external drive is humming away doing it's thing? As you can tell, I'm pretty ignorant about these things.

No one knows how things work until they ask. There are lots of things I was not born knowing, 😉 but I would never say I am ignorant. Ask away, I enjoy trying to help people (as do the people here who answer questions).

Time Machine makes hourly incremental backups of everything on the hard drive (including iCal). I suppose I could find that file to retrieve it if I looked, but on the extremely rare instance I would need to restore my calendar, a fairly recent "snapshot" of my calendar is sufficient for me.

Barry

iCal is hard to read

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.