Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone used the Seagate wireless plus with an iPad?

I would like to use this wireless external drive to store videos and then stream them to my iPad. Has anyone used this drive and if so how do you like it?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:44 PM

If its a nas then if you download a upnp client with player then yes

But using the normal ipad players , no

12 replies

Mar 24, 2013 9:16 PM in response to psbongo

I bought one to do just that. It seems to work very well. You get the free app for your iPad from the app store on your ios device. There is an app for your mac from seagate, (free), that will sync your stuff to the drive. You can also just drag and drop. The majority of my stuff is iTunes purchases, (movies, tv shows, music). It streams it all very well to the iPad and also my iPhone. It will also alow you to connect to another wifi network while still connected to the drive itself. It's the only device I've ever used to do anything like this. It contains my entire iTunes library, (about 500 gigs), and my entire photo library with plenty of room to spare. I take it with me just in case I'm stuck and want to waste some time to entertain myself.

Oct 24, 2013 6:48 PM in response to junaidhbr

There is a firmware update available for the device which must be installed before your iPad/iPhone can access the drive. You must go to the seagate website and download the update. I had to do this when iOS7 was installed on the iPad and iPhone. It's very easy to do, the instructions, as I recall, are also there. This update is for the Seagate Wiresless Plus, not your iOS device. Mine has been working fine since this was done. Hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2014 12:59 AM in response to psbongo

Hi everyone,

I am frustruated with the Seagate Wireless Plus. I think most of you just download movies in it and then watch it on your tablet. I thought this can be my external storage for everything including the content of my iPad. Not so easy!!! I can't see anything from the content of my iPad when I connect it wirelessly to Seagate. I wrote to Seagate and apparently there is another thing called WebDav in order to do it. I think Windows are winning here how easy it is to connect devices. Simply, I can see the demo stuff from the Seagate on my iPad but nothing the other way, no pictures, no music, no videos stored on my iPad can be seen from the Seagate. If there is somebody who can explain to me how to do it before I will return the Seagate to the retailer please do it in a way normal people understand. Don't say "I think" as most of people in these forums do, please say only "I know" and lead me step by step what to do. I have the latest iPad mini with iOS7, 32GB WiFi & Cellular with Retina display. I've already updated the Seagate OS to 2.2.0.005 exactly as they advise by installing the 2.1.0.014 prior to that.

Please forgive me for the tone but those 10 hours I spent so far without any results are too valuable to me.

Thanks in advance. Danny.

Jan 27, 2014 11:39 PM in response to geoff2107

Hi, I wrote my comments above your reply a few days ago. I spent many more hours trying to resolve the issues with Seagate Wireless Plus and I must say I made some progress. Yes, the Seagate doesn't see my files on my iPad mini directly. However you can first move files from your iPad via iTunes into your computer as backup and then with the supplied USB cable to the Seagate. It is a little bit less comfortable but it can be done. There is another aspect to moving files from iPad to Seagate directly via WiFi. It is the speed. I think 10 or even only 5 years from now we all will be laughing about how WiFi was slow for moving audio and video files. It would take hours to move audio and video files from iPad to Seagate. Doing it with this parallel route is much faster. Playing them via WiFi is a different story. It works smootly. I decided to keep my Seagate Wireless Plus.

Danny.

Apr 13, 2015 11:01 PM in response to Paul Skee

My movies wont play from my seagate saying ios does not support this format to use a 3rd party app. it also sometimes opens the movie in the browser and has the play button but nothing happens. i also tried a 3rd party app playerxtreme and still cant play a movie. also get an error about unable to continue playback and it just stops loading at 90%. trying to find a solution to watch movies from my itunes to put them into the seagate to watch on the ipad when on the go. Thank you

Jul 2, 2015 7:32 AM in response to santandream!

I'm having the same exact problem, hoping to bump the thread up for a response!

Have you found an easy way to transfer files from itunes? I'm having to command-click a movie to open it in a finder folder then drag it over one at a time. Since it's 2 TB I really want to just put my entire library onto the drive.

Thanks all for any help - hoping this saves my sanity during a 14 hour drive with kids!

Has anyone used the Seagate wireless plus with an iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.