Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 10.2 (603.6) won't open mp4 or mov files and sound is disabled!

I've had the sound issue before and zapping nvram on my MacBook Pro 13 (2.7/i7 with 16GB of RAM) has fixed it. However, this time, I noticed that Quicktime wouldn't open any files (The document “First Dance.mp4” could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (-101)). Then I noticed that my sound was gone again. I've tried zapping nvram, shutting down and restarting, fixing file permissions, changing the output to and from Headphones, jiggling the headphone jack, spraying compressed air into the audio jack...all of the things that I've read in the forums, but nothing is working.

I still get errors when opening movies and the sound is still grayed out.

Anyone else have these two issues at the same time with a fix?

I DJ with this computer and I'm freaking out because I have a wedding next week to do. Help!

Thanks,

Rick...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 16GB of RAM / 500GB HD

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 5:34 PM

I did a bit more research and after trying a few more things, this fixed BOTH problems for me.

From a command line in Terminal, I typed:

sudo killall -9 coreaudiod

The audio immediately became active again and I was able to open a movie in QuickTime without any issue.

Strange, but it's always great to find a solution!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2013 5:34 PM in response to Rick Tracewell

I did a bit more research and after trying a few more things, this fixed BOTH problems for me.

From a command line in Terminal, I typed:

sudo killall -9 coreaudiod

The audio immediately became active again and I was able to open a movie in QuickTime without any issue.

Strange, but it's always great to find a solution!

Quicktime 10.2 (603.6) won't open mp4 or mov files and sound is disabled!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.