Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture library not seen by ilife or iTunes

I operate 2 user accounts on my Macbook Pro. The aperature lbrary is shared between both accounts. Up until a couple of months ago evverything was working fine. I now have a situation where Itunes/Imovie etc isn't linked to the aperture library. The strange thing is that this only occurs on the primary user account. If I log into the other account everything works fine.

I have tried the various suggestions in the discussion forums - create new library, delete the com.apple.Aperture.plist file without success.

Because the linkage still works on one of the accounts I am guessing it is an account or permissions issue. I am at the latest versions of operating system and Aperture.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 4:36 PM

23 replies

Mar 11, 2013 12:28 AM in response to Afcla

that I was exporting projects and creating additional libraries to reduce space on the hard drive.

Your Aperture user preferences may still be pointing to the last library you opened from your main account. iTunes reads the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" in the "preferences" folder in your user library to find the library to open. It may help to trash this file and to force Aperture to recreate it. But since you are using Mt. Lion I'd log off and on again after quitting Aperture and removing the preferences.

The library sits on the hard drive

Where exactly? A shared folder may not be enough, if the permissions inside the library do not allow iTunes to access the iTunes photo cache inside the library.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 12, 2013 3:44 AM in response to Afcla

The folder is shared and I apply the permissions against the shared folder to ensure both accounts have access.

Each time you write to your Aperture Library, the items inside the library you edit may change the ownership to the user that is editing the library and the permissions inside the library will change. The only safe way to share an Aperture library, so that two users can read and write is to have the library on a disk (external drive, separate disk partition, or writable disk image) that has the "Ignore Ownership" flag set. This is explained in this support article for iPhoto Libraries, but for Aperture libraries goes the same, see: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Hopefully Frank has some more ideas - I still do not see from your answer to his question what exactly changed, before it stopped working.

One more thing to check: Sometimes the iPod Photo Cache gets corrupted and then iTunes cannot open the library. Try to remove it from the library as described here: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Deleting the cache should have no other consequences then that the next sync with iTunes may take longer.

Mar 12, 2013 5:53 AM in response to léonie

Léonie,

Thanks for the informaion about permissions. I have been contemplating moving the library onto an external disk and will use this information to assist. My current workaround for this is to apply the permissions to the shared folder after I do imports into Aperture. This has been working for me.

To be honest not much has changed before the functionality of Itunes an Imovie accessing Aperture was working. All I can put it down to is that i have been exporting projects to new libraries and moving to external drives and then deleting these projects from my main library. I needed to do this to free up space on my internal HD.

I will try the Ipod Photo Cache folder suggestion, but I still can't get my head around the fact that another account on the same machine works fine.

Mar 13, 2013 4:39 AM in response to Afcla

The sharing of photos for some purposes can only work with one Library at a time, whether Aperture or iPhoto. This is different than with the Media Browser, where more than one library can be seen. There is a file (iPod Photo Cache) that is singular in it ability to reference a library. This controls such things as sharing to an Apple TV, or iTunes in my experience.

Your creation of different libraries is involved in what you have experienced.

Ernie

Aperture library not seen by ilife or iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.