Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to use an "Extended" network on an AT&T iPhone

hello all! I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T. In some spots I have spotty coverage, and I'm wondering if there's a way to "Rollback" to an Extended or Partner network like the Verizon iPhone does? Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 7:02 PM

6 replies

Mar 11, 2013 7:33 AM in response to drzachsmd

Since I wasn't familiar with what Verizon means by "Extended Network," I was following your mention of Partner networks, which seems synonymous with "roaming."

A brief network search turns up two related terms with respect to Verizon. "Extended Network" seems to be a sort of half-roaming mode, while "Network Extender" is a a piece of equipment that you place in your home to get better phone reception by using your internet connect (and which would produce a local network that might be called "extended"). Which did you mean?

Message was edited by: markwmsn (removed referral to Verizon forums)

Mar 11, 2013 7:14 PM in response to markwmsn

Thanks for your input on this matter. I'm not an expert on this myself, so that's why I'm asking. This image from a google search shows what I'm talking about. You can see in the Status bar, instead of indicating "Verizon" and 1G, E, 3G, or LTE, is shows "Extended" and 1G. If It's accomplished on an AT&T iPhone by enabling roaming, that's what I'll have to do then.

Thanks again everyone!

User uploaded file

Mar 12, 2013 7:56 AM in response to drzachsmd

I found the following on a Verizon web page entitled "Determining Verizon Wireless Service Coverage":

"When the roam indicator is flashing or the banner display reads Extended Network, home airtime rates still apply, but additional features and services may not be available.

"When the roam indicator is solid or the banner display reads Roaming, roam rates apply and digital features and services are not available."

The distinction seems to be mainly one of price, but also of services.

As far as I can tell, AT&T has only one sort of (domestic US) roaming, but Verizon has two different terms.

As far as I can tell, since AT&T doesn't charge for domestic voice roaming, there is no switch to enable or disable it. You can switch data roaming off and on.

Is there a way to use an "Extended" network on an AT&T iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.