Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview not responding

I'm running 10.8.2 on my MBP 15". Preview all of sudden stopped working. Everytime i try to open a .pdf, .jpg, or any media file for that matter i get a "application not responding" I tried reinstalling Mountain Lion, but it's not correcting the issue. I haven't done a clean installed, i'm trying to refrain from doing that. Anyone have any ideal how to correct this issue?? PLEASE HELP!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 7:20 PM

10 replies

Sep 26, 2017 10:55 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you again for posting this. You answered a question of mine a few years back and now reading your answer here worked perfectly for me to get Preview back. I still have Mountain Lion even tho the newer websites are telling me I have to upgrade. I finally did Google Chrome and again I am being told to upgrade, which I cannot do at this time. I thought with Preview gone I was going to be forced to give up the computer (other little things keep happening like "hanging" and such.) Thank you for allowing me more time with my 5 year old computer! 🙂

Mar 10, 2013 9:17 PM in response to bskillet

Back up all data.

Quit the application, if it's running.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services â–¹ Reveal

from the contextual menu. A Finder window should open with a folder selected. If it does, move the selected folder — not just its contents — to the Desktop.

The folder you're moving has a name that begins with "com.apple." It is not the subfolder named "Data" or anything else.

Relaunch the problem application and test. If it works now, delete the folder you moved. Otherwise, quit again, and put the folder back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place.

Caution: If you delete some or all of the contents of the selected folder, but leave the folder itself in place, the application may not launch. Deleting the folder will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

Jan 30, 2015 6:52 PM in response to bskillet

Thanks Linc,

It really works. But I found that for Maverick, the Library folder doesn't contain Container folder. And it has been moved under user name. However, the Library folder under user name is hidden. Since I used to unhided all the folder, so I can see the Library folder.

Therefore, for others who can't locate the Container folder. You should look at:

~Users/"YourUserName"/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview

instead of ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Preview

Make sure you unhide folders: http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-show-hidden-files-in-mac-os-x- finder-3520878/

Best,

Jay

Dec 23, 2016 5:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, it seems this solution is working for the most of the troubled.

however it does not work for me.

any help?

p.s. i had to mess around with "files and folders cannot be moved (dragged) on the desktop" link issue.

-i deleted ~/Library/Preferences/. . . DESKTOP.plist' and '. . . FINDER.plist' files

-tried,but did not succeed to delete ".DS_store" file on desktop

-sude chflags -R nouchg to desktop

Preview not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.