Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Redirect Malware?

Recently, while visiting a website, I was redirected to Seth.avazutracking.net.
I closed the window immediately and performed an internet search.

I was alarmed to discover that it was a malicious website and may lead to some kind of malware.

I am currently running Mac OS X v10.5.8, and I was using Firefox at the time.

Other users here on the forums have posted about this redirect, and I have not experienced the popups that they have experienced since.

However, I was wondering if this is a cause for concern, and if there are any ways to be sure that my computer has not been infected by other subtle malware.

Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:31 AM

Open DNS can be very effecive in preventing redirects. Read on:

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful: The User Tip seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

More useful information can also be found here:

www.thesafemac.com/mmg

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2013 3:31 AM in response to curiousity624

Open DNS can be very effecive in preventing redirects. Read on:

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful: The User Tip seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

More useful information can also be found here:

www.thesafemac.com/mmg

Mar 11, 2013 6:09 AM in response to curiousity624

If this redirect happens repeatedly, on other sites, see:

Eliminating browser redirects and advertisements

If it was just on that one site, it was probably an ad on that site or the site itself has been hacked.

As for whether you've got anything to fear from visiting that site, probably not. The only questions in my mind are: 1) do you have Java enabled in your web browser, and 2) do you have Adobe Flash Player installed?

If you have Flash, is it the most recent version? See:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

If you have Java enabled in the web browser in Mac OS X 10.5.8, it's almost certainly not up-to-date, and thus puts you at risk of drive-by downloads. If you do have Java enabled in Firefox, open the Terminal and enter the following command:

java -version

What version is it?

If you have insecure versions of Java and/or Flash enabled in the web browser, then you would be wise to run as scan with some anti-virus software. I would recommend Sophos for that, as it has very good detection rates and is easy to uninstall afterwards (just run the Sophos Remove app) if you don't want to keep it.

Mar 11, 2013 7:05 PM in response to curiousity624

Would it be safe for others to be opening up attachments from my emails? Or should that be avoided?

There's virtually no Mac malware that is capable of embedding itself in files that you create. The only exception is the Word macro virus. If you allow macros to run in any of your Office docs, then you could become infected. If you don't allow macros, or if you don't use Microsoft Office at all, then you're fine.

As to files that others create on Windows machines, there's always a risk to passing those on without scanning them with anti-virus software.

Also, is it safe for me to be entering my admin password if I would ever want to download/install anything from the internet?

When you download an application and run it on your computer, there's really nothing guaranteed to be safe about that. You have to exercise caution. As to entering your admin password, some apps will not install or will not run properly if you don't. Further, that's dubious protection anyway. The infamous Flashback malware requested an admin password, but if you declined providing it, you still got infected anyway, it just happened a little differently. There's a lot of bad stuff that can happen without ever providing an admin password.

Redirect Malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.