Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

gettin disk spacelow error....in error

My Macbook Pro (late 2007) is telling me my hard disk is almost full, finder tells me I have 19GB, and I have moved every document I have off my 160GB internal disk. I'm not even able to download an mp3 at the moment because there isnt enough room. I'm beyond confused, anyone know whats going on or can point me in a good direction to start?

Had this problem for a while and a restart would sometimes fix the error and finder would show the correct amount of space. As of late though, after numerous restarts and shut downs I can not correct the problem.

Thanks in advance for your input

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:56 PM

10 replies

Mar 11, 2013 8:01 AM in response to villatic

Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

df -hl

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Mar 11, 2013 8:39 AM in response to villatic

Try using the tool DaisyDisk to see what files are taking up space on your hard drive: http://www.daisydiskapp.com

This tool requires you to purchase a license, but you can also use a free alternative called GrandPerspective to show you a visual representation of the size of every file on your system or in whatever folder you choose (ie, your home directory) and be able to target them and their enclosing folders: http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net

Here's a quick look at how to use Grand Perspective: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-10468452-285/outline-disk-usage-with-grand-p erspective-review/

Mar 11, 2013 12:42 PM in response to villatic

I use Grand Perspective every now and then and no large files ever show up, and when I delve into it, I've never seen anything that needs deleting.

As for typing "df -hl" into Terminal here is my output

Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on

/dev/disk0s2 135Gi 121Gi 15Gi 90% 31653226 3839914 89% /

/dev/disk0s4 13Gi 8.5Gi 4.4Gi 66% 0 0 100% /Volumes/WINDOWS HD

localhost:/jjH-xYs5wfZSakLGNoAd_t 135Gi 135Gi 0Bi 100% 0 0 100% /Volumes/MobileBackups

Mar 11, 2013 1:04 PM in response to villatic

I work with large files mostly swapped between dropbox or similar accounts, when I attempt to download a file I will get the warning and it will cancel the download. Sometimes a simple mp3 will be too much, restarting my system usually makes Finder reveal a different amount of available space. There should truthfully be at least 100GB free.

Mar 11, 2013 1:14 PM in response to villatic

First, empty the Trash if you haven't already done so. Then reboot. That will temporarily free up some space.

According to Apple documentation, you need at least 9 GB of available space on the startup volume (as shown in the Finder Info window) for normal operation. You also need enough space left over to allow for growth of your data. There is little or no performance advantage to having more available space than the minimum Apple recommends. Available storage space that you'll never use is wasted space.

If you're using Time Machine to back up a portable Mac, some of the available space will be used to make local snapshots, which are backup copies of files you've recently deleted. The space occupied by local snapshots is reported as available by the Finder, and should be considered as such. In the Storage display of System Information, local snapshots are shown as "Backups." The snapshots are automatically deleted when they expire or when free space falls below a certain level. You ordinarily don't need to, and should not, delete local snapshots yourself.

To locate large files, you can use Spotlight as described here. That method may not find large folders that contain a lot of small files.

You can also use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper (ODS) to explore your volume and find out what's taking up the space. You can delete files with it, but don't do that unless you're sure that you know what you're deleting and that all data is safely backed up. That means you have multiple backups, not just one.

Proceed further only if the problem hasn't been solved.

ODS can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To see everything, you have to run it as root.

Back up all data now.

Install ODS in the Applications folder as usual.

Triple-click the line of text below to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of doing this. Don't delete anything while running ODS as root. If something needs to be deleted, make sure you know what it is and how it got there, and then delete it by other, safer, means.

When you're done with ODS, quit it and also quit Terminal.

gettin disk spacelow error....in error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.