Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frustrated with iTunes Store music file quality.

Dear Apple iTunes Store supervisors,

Ive decided I will no longer buy music from itunes until you start to release music in a better quality, uncompressed, lossless-format and higher bitrate and sample depth. The list of albums i want to buy grows, and itunes store is not making my money because it fails to provide what this consumer, and many others wants. I know you can do better, so im holding out for it.

Please bring us uncompressed DVD quality (or better) sound files. Atleast an ALAC 24bit 48khz download option. We are paying you for the music.

Our computers support it. iTunes supports it. The outputs on our computers support up to 24/96000! Apple TV supports 48khz! Everything does (except some dated items like airport express)! So If almost all the hardware can do it, why cant we use the capabilities of our apple equipment with apple provided content? Give us 24bit/48khz or better files to buy!

Many agree. itunes store AAC's sound compromised compared to the music ive bought from B&W Society of Sound or HD tracks.

These distributors offer a qualty product and why shouldnt you too?? No professional would be satisfyed with the current download quality you sell. No discriminating consumer either. We're an educated country with standards and we have a larger market place than ever before. I know im not alone here... The public has clamoured for better sound quality for decades. But why does this always get compromised? Why sell unsatisfying music files that arent even to the standards of CD quality?

If readers want a demonstration of how sample rate effects sound, Play some music in iTunes, listen through the best system or headphones you have and go into your "Audio Midi Setup." Switch the output format to 8000hz .. notice how terrible the compressed sound is? Now, step by step increase the format to 16000, 32000, and up... you'll notice a point where the sound stops getting better to the ears. Thats where the limitations of either the file, or the hardware, or hearing are... but not the limitations of the hardware or its original recording! To fully display the depth and richness of the music, we need a file format that just exceeds our hearing like 24bit/48khz because anything less is HEARD as less.

Once we can identify that compressed absense of quality and have experienced what is possible, then why should we be satisfied with less?

Apple. Please improve the file quality availability by aquiring and providing higher quality music from your partnered record lables. Because we know they are recorded and mastered at MUCH higher quality, and when we buy the music thats what we want. That quality. You are capable of better, so please stop letting excuses get in the way. Make it happen. Market it as "Better than CD quality Download" and your sales will improve, wont they!

There's value to offering the option of a better file! Hard drives are affordable. Apple computers offer us tonnes of space.

I dont care if a cd is half a Gig, or a gig of data if it means Im getting the recording in its fullest quality.

Make it happen for us!! Its 2013.

iTunes-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:43 PM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2014 12:56 AM in response to FormosaWest

I also wish iTunes would offer higher quality. However, I think the reason they don't is due to mobile devices and iCloud. In their attempt to give the majority average consumer the best user experience, they strip back features the minority prosumers would want. They developed a file type that sounds acceptable to most to maximize battery life, minimize hard drive space, and increase transfer speed on mobile devices. Apples goal is to give you portable music, and that is just what it is... Portable.

That said, I also do not buy from the iTunes Store either. As a music creator and DJ, I also buy higher quality files from other sources.

Frustrated with iTunes Store music file quality.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.