Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Unable to Sync Updated Apps from iTunes 11.0.2

I recently had my Macbook Pro serviced. The hard drive was replaced. When I got it back, it was like a fresh Mac. I downloaded the latest version of iTunes (11.0.2) and transferred my purchases from my iPhone 5 to my Mac. Everything worked fine until I saw a badge on the App Store on my phone, signifying an update is available for one of my installed apps. I can easily get the update over Wi-fi but normally, I would check for updates on my Mac and get the update/s from there. Anyway, so I did. App updated on my Mac. I realized the problem when I connected my iPhone to my Mac. Normally, I would see about 4 or 5 steps (step 1 - waiting, step 2 - backing up, etc.). The problem is that my iPhone doesn't sync with the updated apps on the Mac. I tried this several times, even backing up and restoring from a back up. Still the same result. I also tried setting up as a new iPhone and restoring again from a backup. Still no go. Basically, the apps on the iPhone doesn't update with the apps on iTunes. Help!!!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 10:01 PM

I'm guessing this is a bug, or a really bad feature, but here's the only way I've found to get iTunes 11.0.2 to push app updates back to my iPhone:

1. Plug in iPhone, then go to the Apps tab for the device (where you pick and arrange your apps).
  2. Each app will have a button beside it in the list that says Install, Remove, or Update.
  3. Click on a button that says Update and it will change to Will Update.
  4. Sync the device.
  5. Only the apps that you clicked Update will update! You have to go through the list and click each Update button! How dumb is that?!?

Hopefully someone answers with a better way to do it.

Good luck!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2013 10:01 PM in response to raffyfragante

I'm guessing this is a bug, or a really bad feature, but here's the only way I've found to get iTunes 11.0.2 to push app updates back to my iPhone:

1. Plug in iPhone, then go to the Apps tab for the device (where you pick and arrange your apps).
  2. Each app will have a button beside it in the list that says Install, Remove, or Update.
  3. Click on a button that says Update and it will change to Will Update.
  4. Sync the device.
  5. Only the apps that you clicked Update will update! You have to go through the list and click each Update button! How dumb is that?!?

Hopefully someone answers with a better way to do it.

Good luck!

Jun 23, 2013 2:31 PM in response to kennnh

I have the exact same problem (after I reinstalled Windows 7 on my PC along with iTunes).

Now iTunes does not automatically copy updated apps on iTunes to my iPhone.

I used kennnh's trick and it also works on PC (here I use the control key when I click one of the apps that have updates -> it performs the same action for all the apps)

Anyway this is a workaround for this problem. I hope Apple solves this problem definitely.

Sep 29, 2015 1:45 AM in response to SpookyGuru

OMG SpookyGuru,

Thanks for your suggestion/help! I've had this problem for over a year, and had to update my apps over wi-fi on my phone in the past year, which was a pain as it was slow and a drain to my iPhone 5s. Before this I was updating my apps via iTunes to my iPhone on a daily basis as it must much quicker to download to my iTunes and much faster to sync to my phone.

The problem occurred by I started using my MacBook Air as my main computer instead my desktop PC. I tried searching for a solution, but couldn't resolve it. Finally, I caved in when I got annoyed today that my battery kept draining so fast with Automatic Updates to my iPhone via wi-fi, and did a proper search this time.

Thanks again so much, you're a legend!

iPhone Unable to Sync Updated Apps from iTunes 11.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.