Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture deleting mess

Hi there everybody,

I am afraid I messed up with my Aperture library after migrating from iPhoto..

I have organized the photos in Albums, and I refer to them when I open Aperture and look for pics or when I import new ones from my camera.

But I know that pictures in Albums don't reflect exactly all the pictures you have imported, because if I delete one photo i dont like from one Albume that photo will stay in the project, and in the disk, taking space. Now, what I need is to be able to delete all the photos that don't appear in Albums, in order to free (a lot of) space. Is there a way?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:03 AM

2 replies

Mar 11, 2013 5:21 AM in response to tmma.a

because if I delete one photo i dont like from one Albume that photo will stay in the project, and in the disk, taking space.

If you want to delete images, the direct way would be to start from the projects and not from the albums. Deleting from a project will always remove the image from all albums using the image. If you are deleting from the albums and want to delete the originals as well, use the command "File > Delete original image and all versions".

Now, what I need is to be able to delete all the photos that don't appear in Albums, in order to free (a lot of) space. Is there a way?

To find all images not contained in albums, I'd open all albums one by one, select all images in the album and flag them (Metadata > Flag - look for the keyboard shortcut assigned to the command in the menu). Then I'd create a smart album (File > New > Smart album) and set the "Flag" rule to "No". This will give you an album containing all images that are not included in albums and you can delete them all at once or send them to the "Rejected" album by pressing the "9" key. But i might be safer to delete them individually, to be sure, not delete anything accidentally that you might regret later. 😝

Also, see Frank Caggiano's User Tip on deleting versions and Masters:

Deleting version also deleted the master

Regards

Léonie

Mar 11, 2013 7:47 AM in response to léonie

Just a codicil ...

Unfortunately, "delete" now has varied and unspecified meanings in Aperture, and is no longer a useful word. I suggest (the OP 😉 ) stop using the word "delete" and replace it, in writing but especially in thinking, with the specific action desired. Once the action is specified, the appropriate command can be found and used.

Some of the different actions we associate with "delete" are (when the selection is an Image or Images):

- remove from Album (Books, Light Tables, etc. are all specialized Albums)

- move from Project to Aperture Trash

- remove from all Albums and move from Project to Aperture Trash

- move from Aperture Trash to System Trash

- remove from System Trash

I use Projects as long-term storage containers and Albums as "output" containers. I remove Images from Albums when I no longer need them for the output I am working on. I move them from their Project to the Aperture Trash when I no longer wish to keep them. I empty the Aperture Trash after every work session. As a general rule: I work in Projects when I am administering the collection of Images in my Library; I work in Albums when I am preparing Images for publication, and publishing them. ("Publish" meaning "use outside Aperture".)

Imho, the program designers would do well to more fully address the multiple non-identical understanding of "delete" in Aperture.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- replaced text clipped when first posted.

Aperture deleting mess

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.