Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Run My Macbook Pro with One Stick of RAM/Memory

Hi,

I am a little tight at the minute and need to upgrade the Memory in my Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011. I currently have 4GB (2x2GB) Memory in my Macbook.

I am wanting to upgrade to 16GB but cannot afford to do so yet. (I know I know tight B*st**d) Is it possible to just buy one 8GB Ram stick now and run my Mac off that untill I can afford to buy a second? or will this not work or will it have a massive reduction in performace?

I hope someone can help me....

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 6:14 AM

It will run, but not efficiently. Make certain that the RAM specifications are; 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM. I also suggest that you retain one of the original 2 GB chips in the other RAM bay.

Ciao.

6 replies

Mar 11, 2013 7:02 AM in response to Joshwright10

You'll be bale to use the 10GB of RAM - it won't be as fast and efficient as a matched set, but it will work.

Installing RAM in a 2011-2012 MacBook Pro

There is really only one way to install RAM into a 2011-2012 MacBook Pro and while there are hundreds of DIY videos online, I just like this one, found on YouTube, by “macmixing”.

Note that there is a difference in the RAM that should be used in 2011 and 2012 models.

2011 models must use:

204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

And 2012 models must use:

204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

So here's the video:

Remember that the 13", 15" and 17" 2011 models (early or late) and the 13" and 15" mid-2012 non-Retina models can handle 4GB, 8GB or (unofficially, but, believe me, it works) 16GB of RAM. There are, in my opinion, only three 100% Mac-compatible vendors out there: Corsair, Crucial and OWC. I really can't recommend any other brands, even though it may work, as these are the only brands that I've personally used in quite a while. Also remember to stay away from any RAM that is a “value” brand - Macs are picky about RAM and often these value RAM modules just don’t work very well.

Good luck,

Clinton

Feb 5, 2014 10:10 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Hi, a very similar question. I ordered 4GB from crucial to upgrade a 2GB Macbook Pro (mid 2009).

I was expecting to get two 2GB cards.

But they have sent me just 1 4GB one.

So now I am not sure:

- is it best to leave one slot empty

- or leave one of the 1GB cards in place (giving a total of 5GB).

I was expecting 4GB to be more than enough for my needs.

And if I do use two cards, does it matter which of the two slots I use for the larger card?

Many thanks for any help

Pete

Can I Run My Macbook Pro with One Stick of RAM/Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.